HELP! syslogd stops working after Solaris 8 Upgrade!

HELP! syslogd stops working after Solaris 8 Upgrade!

Post by System Adm » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Ok, I don't get it.

I've been running Solaris 7 MU1 for quite awhile on a SS20
clone by Tatung.  Tonight I got the bright idea to upgrade
to Solaris 8 MU1 (06/00 Media).  Now for some reason I can't
get ANYTHING to log to  /var/log/syslog  ....I've got TCP
Wrappers installed so at the very least, TELNET, etc
connections should be getting logged.

o  /etc/syslog.conf  was not touched by me though it does
     seem to have added the bit about excluding "user from
     most lines..."
o  /usr/sbin/syslogd appears to have a January date/time
     stamp on it which makes me think it may have been
     upgraded in the Upgrade.  Also,  /etc/init.d/syslog
     has the same January 5 timestamp while /etc/init.d/syslog.old
     shows a date of May 31
o  ps DOES show that  /usr/sbin/syslogd  is running.

If it matters, here are some permissions:
-rw-r--r--   1 root     sys          1314 Aug  8 20:51 /etc/syslog.conf
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     sys         46308 Jan  5  2000 /usr/sbin/syslogd*

Yes, I know the syslog.conf above shows having been recently
editted...that was by me, removing the aforementioned "user
exclusions" (so that it looks exactly like the Solaris 7
syslog.conf), but either way it still acted the same.

Anyone have any ideas on what's happening here?  If I can
provide more information, let me know.

NOTE:  the above return address will work only for about
a week of so, until I delete the alias.  If you reply after
that point, change "sysadmin" to "tom".  Thanks!

HELP! syslogd stops working after Solaris 8 Upgrade!

Post by System Adm » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Disregard previous....turns out that "loghost" in my
/etc/hosts  file was somehow set to another machine on our
network.  Which is odd since I didn't change /etc/hosts
and syslogd was working prior to the Upgrade....

1. syslogd stopped working. Help!

I just installed linux for the first time on my machine (slackware 3.1)
Everything was fine, than all of a sudden, syslogd stopped working.
Since than, at boot, time syslogd fails to start.  If I try to start
it by hand, it shows up in a ps list as "zombie" for a few seconds,
than dissappears.

I would really appreciate an expert advice on this,

Thanks,
Karch

2. want to purchase used 250 workstation?

3. Remote loggin with syslogd stopped working ...

4. Setting up a gateway

5. syslogd stops working?

6. INF-520 SCSI-2 host adapter with Linux 1.2.1 ?

7. Help: PPP stops working after Slackware96 (3.1) upgrade

8. Hercules fortissimo 2 drivers

9. syslogd stopped working

10. Help: TcpIp stops working after upgrade to 1.2.1?

11. syslogd stopped working

12. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

13. SMC8013 NIC stopped working after upgrade to FC3