Cobalt series appliances

Post by J. Todd Slac » Fri, 31 May 2002 12:22:58

I am looking for a box to do perhaps web and e-mail hosting. Are the Cobalt
appliances designed for this really? can they handle a decent load? Or
should I buy a Sun fire v100 or a Nextra?

would a cobalt qube be a good db server?

what the qube ge good for doing software development?

I am trying to decide how I outfit my small ISP with Sun equipment, but I
don't have a lot of money..

-Jason

Cobalt series appliances

Post by Akop Pogosia » Fri, 31 May 2002 14:01:36

Quote:> I am looking for a box to do perhaps web and e-mail hosting. Are the Cobalt
> appliances designed for this really? can they handle a decent load? Or
> should I buy a Sun fire v100 or a Nextra?
> would a cobalt qube be a good db server?
> what the qube ge good for doing software development?
> I am trying to decide how I outfit my small ISP with Sun equipment, but I
> don't have a lot of money..
> -Jason

Last time I checked, cobalt HW offers a similar level of performance
as say Netra X1 (granted, some RAQs come with SCSI port, and a PCI
slot), however, it costs slightly more. The main difference is that
cobalt RAQ is intended to be a server appliance for hosting companies
and small businesses while Sun X1/V100s are general purpose servers.
RAQs come with tons of software preinstalled including web based
administration tools and ready for use out of box. Cobalt might or
might not be what you need, just like V100.

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.