locked out of root access

Post by celesti.. » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have gotten myself into a unique position on my SPARC 20/Solaris 2.5
machine. any help GREATLY appreciated

I am unable to login as root due to the following:
1 - i made a typo in the 'shell'field of the passwd file for root
2 - when i attempt to login as root the system cannot find the shell
        program (the typo) and it kicks me out.

Is there a way to login with an arbitrary shell (i.e. bypass the shell
listed in the passwd file)?

I tried to ftp in as root (in hopes of replacing the passwd file or of
installing a shell program withthe same name as the typo). The system
would not allow ftp as root.

i tried to run rsh, in hopes of running a script (with root authority)
that would do the same ... system would not allow me.

I dont have the password for "sys" or "bin" the owners of the passwd
file and the the /sbin directory.

I cant "su" because it starts the shell as well.

I cant get to single user mode, cant issue shutdown without root
authority.

any suggestions??? please help!!

thanks
bob c

locked out of root access

Post by Serge Orlo » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I have gotten myself into a unique position on my SPARC 20/Solaris 2.5
> machine. any help GREATLY appreciated

> I am unable to login as root due to the following:
> 1 - i made a typo in the 'shell'field of the passwd file for root
> 2 - when i attempt to login as root the system cannot find the shell
>         program (the typo) and it kicks me out.

> Is there a way to login with an arbitrary shell (i.e. bypass the shell
> listed in the passwd file)?
> I cant "su" because it starts the shell as well.

Try
su root -c "/usr/bin/sh"

I hope it will help you
        Serge Orlov.

locked out of root access

Post by Kevin Alois » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I have gotten myself into a unique position on my SPARC 20/Solaris 2.5
> machine. any help GREATLY appreciated

> I am unable to login as root due to the following:
> 1 - i made a typo in the 'shell'field of the passwd file for root
> 2 - when i attempt to login as root the system cannot find the shell
>         program (the typo) and it kicks me out.

> Is there a way to login with an arbitrary shell (i.e. bypass the shell
> listed in the passwd file)?

> I tried to ftp in as root (in hopes of replacing the passwd file or of
> installing a shell program withthe same name as the typo). The system
> would not allow ftp as root.

> i tried to run rsh, in hopes of running a script (with root authority)
> that would do the same ... system would not allow me.

> I dont have the password for "sys" or "bin" the owners of the passwd
> file and the the /sbin directory.

> I cant "su" because it starts the shell as well.

> I cant get to single user mode, cant issue shutdown without root
> authority.

> any suggestions??? please help!!

> thanks
> bob c

all you need to do is reboot you compute and start in the install
process..  (boot from cd) enter in all the computer indent. stuff
but when it asks you to install or upgrade hit exit..
it should drop you in the console window.. from there
you can mount the disk.. and vi /etc/passwd

-kevin

locked out of root access

Post by Matthew C. Ayco » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[...]

1) boot cdrom -s
2) mount the disk
3) edit /etc/passwd
4) sync;sync;sync;reboot

Matt

--
Matthew C. Aycock
Junior Systems Admin

1. Modem lock outs

Hi,

I've run into a bad problem using tty2A for dial-in.
Basically everything works fine (modem answers,
connection is fine) unless you get disconnect
while running an application.  When this occurs,
the modem will not answer and the only way to get
back in is to have someone on the remote end kill
all your processes on tty2A to send it back to the
getty state.  Line drops are due to bad long distance
connections.  Is there an option we can use that
will allow you to reconnect and continue your
application (process) as if nothing had happened?

We're using SCO OpenServer 5 and have tried 3
different modems with similar results.

Would tty2a be more appropriate?  We have used the
terminal flavor before with good results however
we were using a Digiboard port for the modem which
in hindsight, didn't seem to behave like a native
COM port.

When we've tried using tty2a, the modem will not
answer at all.

Lastly, we're working with default settings for
everything (gettydefs, Devices, inittab, etc) and
we believe (hope) all our modem settings are correct.

What would -HUPCL do for us?  I know it prevents
hangups on the last exit but is that all it does?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jeff Bain

2. How to mount NTFS partition?

3. locked directory? No access rights as root?

4. diald won't dial

5. KDE Them change locked my "root" access

6. Routing problems, i think ??

7. Root access for a user locked screen?

8. SCO ARCServe with Changer Option

9. Root, but not Root access

10. Bad root entry in passwd file - NO root access!!!!

11. Granting root access to defined non-root users...

12. Root Access to non-root users

13. telnet access, root access