Boot disk question for 4.1.3 to 2.5.1 upgrade.

Boot disk question for 4.1.3 to 2.5.1 upgrade.

Post by Richard Gaups » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm a marginal sys-admin for my one man consulting firm. I'm currently
upgrading from SunOS 4.1.3 to Solaris 2.5.1. I currently have a main disk
for use (/dev/sd0 jumpered as target 3) with 4.1.3, a second disk with
4.1.3 for emergency use (/dev/sd1 jumpered as target 1) and a new disk
with Solaris. I bought the latter with Solaris preloaded (I also purchased
the CDROM). It came with a label /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s6 jumpered as target 3.
(BTW, I'm so reluctant to transition to Solaris. My system is like
a well used easy chair that is exactly the way I want it and never gives
me any problems.)

My goal was to copy everything over from the sd0 and keep sd0 with 4.1.3
so I could boot with either for a while. Now if I rejumper the Solaris
disk as target 2, I can boot from sd0 and mount the solaris disk as
/dev/sd2. However I cannot boot from the Solaris disk via:

        book disk2

The boot starts but says something about not finding something on the disk
implying it cannot find the disk during boot. However probe-scsi yields:

        sd0     target3         (4.1.3)
        sd1     target1         (4.1.3)
        sd2     target2         (solaris)

So the bios knows about the disk.

I believe the problem is the Solaris disk is labeled as target 3
(/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s6), yet the jumpers are set to target 2. Does the SCSI
jumper setting have to equal the target number on the label? If so then
this implies that I have to relabel (and therefore reformat) the disk.
This also implies that everytime one wants to change the scsi target of a
disk, it has to be reformatted. I find this hard to swallow so I must be
on the wrong track.

Also when I solve this problem, how do I reference the 4.1.3 disk from
Solaris during mounting: mount /dev/.....??????

Another question. When I boot the system via the Solaris disk (jumpered
as scsi target 3 with the 4.1.3 sd0 removed). I cannot get openwin to run.
It complains about not finding the video controller (I think the reference
was to /dev/fb though fb exists). Do any software settings have to be
changed?

BTW, the system is Sparc 10 without a video accelerator. My reference:
"UNIX System Adminstration Handbook" by Nemeth, et. al, an excellant book.

Thanks a lot,

Post by Alvin Sylvai » Mon, 05 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I'm a marginal sys-admin for my one man consulting firm. I'm currently
> upgrading from SunOS 4.1.3 to Solaris 2.5.1. I currently have a main disk
> for use (/dev/sd0 jumpered as target 3) with 4.1.3, a second disk with
> 4.1.3 for emergency use (/dev/sd1 jumpered as target 1) and a new disk
> with Solaris. I bought the latter with Solaris preloaded (I also purchased
> the CDROM). It came with a label /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s6 jumpered as target 3.
> (BTW, I'm so reluctant to transition to Solaris. My system is like
> a well used easy chair that is exactly the way I want it and never gives
> me any problems.)

I'd say that if you don't have a compelling reason to switch
to Solaris, don't.

For us, we are compelled by the fact that the products we need for
our application (Sybase and Oracle) are no longer supported for
SunOS 4.1.x.  You may eventually find that to be true in your case.

However, if you haven't reached that point yet, and/or if you
can schedule when you'll reach that point, there's no reason to
immediately abandon the old tried, true and comfy.  (btw, DO
download a copy of the Solaris FAQ ... VERY useful!)

Quote:> My goal was to copy everything over from the sd0 and keep sd0 with 4.1.3
> so I could boot with either for a while.

I wouldn't bother.  SunOS and Solaris have their differences, but
they aren't so severe that you really need to keep two versions
sitting around, taking up valuable disk space.  If you have two
applications using tools that require one or the other, and you
still need to support both, then you might do just as well to
purchase a new system.  Measuring heartburn in hours, a new
system may cost you less.

Either just take the plunge, or don't.  Straddling the fence can
be painful!  :-)

A.

See Org line for domain info.

1. Basic Root Disk and Boot disk Question

Hi,

I have two identical systems and I mean identical, how can I make
a boot disk and a root disk from one and use it on the other.

Or should the question be, I have two identical systems, one with
Windows and one with Windows and Linux.  I had to do some tweaking
to get the Linux system working with the SCSI card and the 64bit
video card (including some kernel building).

What is the easiest way to duplicate the Linux system on the system with
windows only?

Eric

2. building & linking with "new style" shared objects

3. booting dos and linux (without boot disk) question

4. kernel question

5. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

6. Video problems.

7. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

8. Idle - Timeout

9. copy boot disc to a replacement boot disc -

10. Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

11. Boot loaded can't see disk after upgrade to -stable

12. Boot disk fails after CPU upgrade

13. Upgrading boot disk on a 2.1.5 system