problems to read tape from HP 1533 with HP 1512A

problems to read tape from HP 1533 with HP 1512A

Post by Jan Rieding » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

We aren't able to read tapes written with tar by an HP 1533 DAT streamer
with an HP 1512A DAT streamer (scsi-probe returns HP35450A for it).

Does anybody know the reason of this problem and have a solution for it?

Thank you in advance
        Jan

Post by Thad Florya » Sat, 04 Oct 1997 04:00:00

| We aren't able to read tapes written with tar by an HP 1533 DAT streamer
| with an HP 1512A DAT streamer (scsi-probe returns HP35450A for it).
|
| Does anybody know the reason of this problem and have a solution for it?
|
| Thank you in advance
|         Jan

This "sounds" like the problem when a compressed tape is attempted to be
read on a non-compressing drive.

You might wish to check in the comp.sys.hp.hardware or comp.sys.hp.hpux
newsgroups for more insight.  The HP 1533 has hardware data compression
and my guess would be the 1512A does not.

Note another area of incompatibility concerns DDS, DDS-2 and DDS3 re:
tape length and handling by a drive.

Thad

1. Tape - HP 1533 SCSI problem

I have two DAT tapes with a .tar on each (from another shop's UNIX system)
that I need to restore.  I set up a RedHat 5.2 box with a 2940 and an HP
1533A DAT drive.  I have upgraded twice (first to Mandrake 6.0, now Mandrake
7.0) but still have the same problem (bear with me, I'm a LINUX newbie)

mt -f /dev/st0 status

returns valid info, such as
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (number):
VARIOUS OPTIONS IN CAPS
(these options vary with the tape in the drive, such as DR_OPEN or WR_PROT)

The problem is when I go to read the tape - I enter

tar -tv /dev/st0

and the console session hangs until I Ctrl-C.

I have other scratch tapes for testing; what do I need to do?

TIA,

James Keirstead
Perigon

(To e-mail, remove the DOT's)

2. Newbie - XSetup...help!

3. Probleme mit Dat Tape HP 1533

4. Limiting outgoing bandwidth per machine, using Linux (2.2.19) on ADSL

5. HP 1533 Dat Tape and dump with SunOS

6. PLEASE help: x-win won't let me use keyboard

7. HP 1533 Tape drive on AIX?

8. modprobe error

9. File compression/BackupEDGE/HP C-1533 DAT drive

10. HP 1533 DAT

12. DAT TAPE DRIVES: Wangtek can't read HP DAT tapes

13. Problem with HP-DAT 35470A reading SUN made tape