How to push a STREAMS module between ethernet driver and IP?

How to push a STREAMS module between ethernet driver and IP?

Post by Anand A. Kekr » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

  I want to put a STREAMS module between ethernet driver and IP so that
it persists there in TCP/IP STREAM.

  On SVR4, this is generally  done by slink program  which is
flexible enough to let you push a module below IP.
Solaris (I am using 2.5) has plumb option in ifconfig which setsup the
TCP/IP STREAM.

  Can somebody help me.

  Thnaks in advance.

- Anand

Post by Thomas Tornbl » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
> Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 14:47:52 -0500

> Hi,

>   I want to put a STREAMS module between ethernet driver and IP so that
> it persists there in TCP/IP STREAM.

>   On SVR4, this is generally  done by slink program  which is
> flexible enough to let you push a module below IP.
> Solaris (I am using 2.5) has plumb option in ifconfig which setsup the
> TCP/IP STREAM.

>   Can somebody help me.

>   Thnaks in advance.

> - Anand

If you're running 2.4 or higher you can "unplumb" the device. Using
the autopush facility you can push a module on top of the driver,
/dev/le or whatever. Then "plumb" the device again and voila! There's
your module.

Beware though that it will sit below arp and it is thus raw ethernet
frames flowing through it.

I have tried to muck around to be able to push a module between ip and
arp, but I will need the source to ifconfig unless I want to spend an
inordinate amount of time trying to reverse engineer it.

Good luck!

Thomas
--

Snail mail:     HB Hax                      Phone:    +46  18 323118
                Banvallsv?gen 14            Fax:      +46  18 323118

1. What happens if a stream module is pushed onto multiple stream driver?

1.
What happens if a stream module is pushed onto multiple stream driver?
Will its open and close routines called each time when it is
pushed? And shall I write some special code to handle this situation?

2.
What happens if a stream module is opened multiple times?
Will its open and close routines called each time when it is
pushed? And shall I write some special code to handle this situation?

2. Why KDE or Gnome crash frequently

3. Solaris x86 failure to push streams module into network stream

4. Kindly compare XP and Linux and Guide Me

5. How to push STREAMS module into socket stream

6. Help. /etc/pwd.db.: Permission denied

7. Pushing arbitrary STREAMS modules over an IP connection

8. 30-day discussion period ends

9. How can I put a module/driver below IP driver in a stream?

10. How to push a module onto an existing STREAM?

11. Solaris 10(Sparc) Fireengine push another stream module