network install w/o cr-rom drive

Post by David Vaugh » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Solaris onto an old Sparc LC which has tcp/ip, but no
cd-rom. I know that the install can be done over the network, but i'm not
sure how to see the drive on another solaris box where the install media
resides.  Any advice?

network install w/o cr-rom drive

Post by res0574 » Mon, 07 Aug 2000 04:00:00

It is called jumpstart.  This allows you to install the OS, setup the disk
drives,
load apps and patches, and anything else you want to do.  Good luck.

> I'm trying to install Solaris onto an old Sparc LC which has tcp/ip, but no
> cd-rom. I know that the install can be done over the network, but i'm not
> sure how to see the drive on another solaris box where the install media
> resides.  Any advice?

1. Booting from a CR-ROM drive with LILO

Hi,

Is is possible to boot a CD-ROM from LILO? I have managed to configure
LILO to boot from the floppy drive. I would like to do the same for the
CD-ROM, but running lilo yields the following error:

geo_query_dev HDIO_GETGEO (dev 0x1640): Invalid argument

Is there a LILO option to correct the problem?

My lilo conf:
other=/dev/hdd
  label=CDROM
  unsafe

To boot from floppy I use this:
other=/dev/fd0
  label=Floppy
  unsafe

Best regrds,
           Zoltan Kolb

2. X-windows with no return

3. Driver for SANYO PD1 CR-ROM drive.. help?

4. Strange chars in second console

5. Does a Panasonic CR-563-B CD-ROM drive act like a CR-562?

6. Mandrake Linux CD-ROMs

7. getting fast CR-ROM drive for Sparc5

8. RTCORE - RTLinux

9. detect presence of CR-ROM drive

10. CR-ROM Changer NEC CDR-251

11. internal SCSI CR-ROM to external

12. CR-ROM problem

13. How do I configure 2nd ATAPI CR-ROM?