Can I install Solaris 8 in a Sparc5 ?

Post by Shiva MahaDe » Sun, 19 May 2002 07:51:16

Can I install Solaris 8 in a Sparc5 with 64 MBRAM ?
And X-win32, can I install it in this machine ?
Thanks...

Can I install Solaris 8 in a Sparc5 ?

Post by Abne » Sun, 19 May 2002 09:27:34

Yes, I have a classroom with 15 Sparc 5 systems running Solaris 8.  You should
have 128MB RAM and 2 GB of drive space.  I run on 170Mhz CPUs, but it should
run fine on a 110Mhz.

Post by Phillip Fiedl » Sun, 19 May 2002 11:03:24

> Can I install Solaris 8 in a Sparc5 with 64 MBRAM ?
> And X-win32, can I install it in this machine ?
> Thanks...

I successfully did on a sparc5 w/ 64MB and w/o X-win32.

Can I install Solaris 8 in a Sparc5 ?

Post by Hemant Shar » Sun, 19 May 2002 12:53:55

Hi,
Solaris 8 10/01 operating environment does not support following
models SPARCstation(TM) SLC ,SPARCstation ELC,SPARCstation
IPC,SPARCstation IPX,SPARCstation 1,SPARCstation 1+,SPARCstation 2 .
Solaris 8 on SS5 should be be ok. X-win32 is not hardware dependent so
it should work.

Hemant
http://www.adminschoice.com

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Mon, 20 May 2002 15:22:37

|Can I install Solaris 8 in a Sparc5 with 64 MBRAM ?

Yes.

|And X-win32, can I install it in this machine ?

No.  X-Win32 is an X Window server for Microsoft Windows.  Solaris
contains it's own X server.  You can run X-Win32 on a PC to connect to
Solaris.

1. [Fwd: StarOffice 5.0 install on SPARC5/Solaris 2.6]

Sports Fans,

I have been attempting to install Star Office 5.0 on a SPARC 5 w/256MB
RAM running Solaris 2.6 with both recommended and Y2K patches applied.
I have gotten my Registration Key, but not a personal key.

The install asks for a personal key (which I don't have).  If I do not
enter a personal key, it asks for one.  If I enter the Registration key,
it says it is not right.  To eliminate the possibility of a typo, I have
had my data entry verified by another person, so I don't think that's
the problem.  The setup still fails, giving a segmentation fault, then
giving a bus error, but never producing a core file.

Anybody have any ideas?

BV

2. SENDMAIL IN AIX.4.3.2

3. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

4. Reading from serial devices

5. Netscape Solaris 2.4 Sparc5/85 24bit = woes

6. Informix 5.00 & Abv on Linux

7. Changing perms with CuteFTP on Sparc5 w/solaris 8

8. IRC Host

9. SPARC5/SOLARIS AND PRINTERS

10. relocate Solaris 2.5.1 from UE1 to Sparc5

11. Difference between Installing from Ins Svr and Boot Svr?

12. amusing stdio core dump (Solaris 2.3, sparc5)

13. solaris8 install problem on Sparc5