DNS Problems

Post by A. Nony, Mou » Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:44:58

I was recently given a pair of Tatung COMPstaion U computers (they are
an odd Sun clone: they have the SBus and 50-pin ScSi of the
SparcStaion/Ultra1/Ultra2 generation machines, but the processor of an
Ultra5/Ultra10). I installed Solaris 9 on it with support for both 32
and 64 bit processing in end-user mode.

I have the machine set to use DNS as its name-resolution process (set
when I installed), and I specified 4 different nameservers (on 3
different networks/subnetworks) in resolv.conf. In nsswith.conf, I
have the hosts line set  to 'hosts: files, dns'. I have a default
route set.

When I use /usr/sbin/nslookup, I am able to resolve names to ip
numbers, but /usr/sbin/ping and the netscape browser that came with
the system are not able to resolve hostnames to ip numbers.

I have tried manually adding an entry into hosts, and am able to
browse to it and am able to ping it successfully.

I am sure I have overlooked something trivial.

Have I missed something? Advice is appreciated.

A. Nony, Mouse

DNS Problems

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:18:34

> I have the machine set to use DNS as its name-resolution process (set
> when I installed), and I specified 4 different nameservers (on 3
> different networks/subnetworks) in resolv.conf. In nsswith.conf, I
> have the hosts line set  to 'hosts: files, dns'. I have a default
> route set.

nsswith.conf ??

# cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf

and try again.

DNS Problems

Post by A. Nony, Mous » Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:33:12

Thank you. That fixed it.

>> I have the machine set to use DNS as its name-resolution process (set
>> when I installed), and I specified 4 different nameservers (on 3
>> different networks/subnetworks) in resolv.conf. In nsswith.conf, I
>> have the hosts line set  to 'hosts: files, dns'. I have a default
>> route set.

> nsswith.conf ??

> # cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf

> and try again.

DNS Problems

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:22:51

Quote:> I have the machine set to use DNS as its name-resolution process (set
> when I installed), and I specified 4 different nameservers (on 3
> different networks/subnetworks) in resolv.conf.

FYI, only the first 3 nameservers in resolv.conf are used.

--

Arlington, MA

DNS Problems

Post by Thomas H Jones I » Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:16:50

Quote:>I have the machine set to use DNS as its name-resolution process (set
>when I installed), and I specified 4 different nameservers (on 3
>different networks/subnetworks) in resolv.conf. In nsswith.conf, I
>have the hosts line set  to 'hosts: files, dns'. I have a default
>route set.

That line would need to be "hosts: files dns". Notice the lack of a ","
in there. If what you put in your post is what was literally in the
nsswitch.conf file, that likely was the source of your breakage.

-tom