Changing disk controller (x86)

Post by Richard Pat » Fri, 30 Sep 1994 01:26:56

Can anyone tell me how to change to  new disk controller under Solaris x86?

I want to go from an adaptec 1542b to a 2842.  I've tried booting
with the line 'b -ars'
and then entering

partitions, and it refuses to find them (so no boot).

Thanks for any help

Cheers

Richard Paton

1. Need help: PANIC: Cannot find root disk controller after changing disks

We have Openserver 5.0.0 on Compaq Proliant 5000 with two Smart 2 ida
controller, RAID1 array for system disk and RAID5 array for data.
After backing up all filesystems we enhanced system RAM from 256 to 512
MB and changed the disks of the RAID arrays. We also had to upgrade the
ROMpaqs for the system and the ida controllers.
Following the instructions in the SCO handbook, we made a fresh
installation with osr5.0.4, prepared the new disks and filesystems, did
not install any optional software like operating system services or
graphical environment.
In this state the system will boot without any problem.
We then restored the old root filesystem from tape and relinked the
kernel to get the old osr5.0.0 in place.
During reboot, the system panics since it cannot initialize the ida
controller.
The following messages occur:
Warning: ida0: IdaSend PCI ...Invalid command list address returned.
Request command list: 0x0014000000   Returned command list: 0xFFFFFFFFFF

Later on the following message is chown on the console:
Warning: hd: no root disk controller

We get the same error after restoring root- and boot-filesystem from
tape.

What do I have to do?? Is there any configuration file I have to change
manually before relinking the kernel ?

2. Drivers under kernel 2.2.17 for D-Link DFE-530TX

3. changing boot SCSI controller on Solaris 7/x86

4. TV Out ?

5. Solaris X86 - Disc Controller Recommendations

6. Powerfail reboots in Slackware 1.1.0

7. SCSI disks not recognized on x86 Adaptech 2010S controller?

8. Parallel Port I/O programming

9. changing disk controllers and partition layout

10. Jumpstart - disk controller changes when 2.6 >>> 8

11. SCO UNIX disk controller change

12. SCO UNIX Disk Controller change

13. How to change the disk controller ids