IE dorked my Ultra 5

Post by jimt0.. » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm new to Sun/Unix and recently tried to install
IE on a new Ultra 5 w/Solaris 8. IE won't start
so now I want to go back. How can I make the
netscape that came installed on the system the
default browser again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

IE dorked my Ultra 5

Post by Doug McInty » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I'm new to Sun/Unix and recently tried to install
>IE on a new Ultra 5 w/Solaris 8. IE won't start
>so now I want to go back. How can I make the
>netscape that came installed on the system the
>default browser again?

There's no such thing as a default browser on the OS wide level.
It might have set some preferences in your CDE settings to launch the
browser when you do something, but overall, you can launch Netscape or
IE at your whim when you want to do something.

Perhaps a better question would be to say how you bring up a browser,
and how can you change the settings back so than when you do whatever
it is you do, to change the settings to use Netscape instead..
--

  Network Engineer/Tech Support/Jack of All Trades of Vector Internet
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate

IE dorked my Ultra 5

Post by theac » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I'm new to Sun/Unix and recently tried to install
> IE on a new Ultra 5 w/Solaris 8. IE won't start
> so now I want to go back. How can I make the
> netscape that came installed on the system the
> default browser again?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.

According to the IE install file, you need to find and delete any file with
the name IE5.dt. It may be in your home directory, or it may be in a system
directory. Surfice it to say IE5 for Solaris is an annoying piece of c**p.
It just goes to show that M$ can't write decent code.

Jerason Banes

IE dorked my Ultra 5

Post by Jim Takat » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Found the file. Deleted it. Netscape is back.

Thanks guys!

> [cc'd to original poster]

> +

Quote:> + > I'm new to Sun/Unix and recently tried to install
> + > IE on a new Ultra 5 w/Solaris 8. IE won't start
> + > so now I want to go back. How can I make the
> + > netscape that came installed on the system the
> + > default browser again?
> +
> + According to the IE install file, you need to find and delete any file
with
> + the name IE5.dt. It may be in your home directory, or it may be in a
system
> + directory.

> Start by looking in your $HOME/.dt directory.  Possibly in
$HOME/.dt/types,
> but I might be misremembering that last part.  CDE is infinitely
> customizable, so there are an infinite number of places that file might
be.

> + Surfice it to say IE5 for Solaris is an annoying piece of c**p.

> And it's /not/ an annoying FPOS on Wintel?

> + It just goes to show that M$ can't write decent code.

> Their excuse for IE crappiness on non-MS OSes is, naturally, "Oh, but you
> see, it's not the software, it must be the operating system.  Yeah..."

> Luck++;
> Phil

1. IE on Ultra

I just downloaded 11MB of Microsoft IE for Solaris, and all it says is:

Can't find
Killed

In the terminal, I did the chmod +x thing, but no luck.  Any idea on
getting this to work?  I ask as Netscape does not want to run on my 8bit
screen (it will run on the 24bit screened iMac which I can send it to).

Thanks

Garry

2. How to change IP and Hostname for Sun servers ?

3. Apache/M$IE: IE doesn't send Authorization headers every time?

4. setup on vfat disks?

5. cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

6. help: newbie xterm problem

7. Linux dorks up CD-ROM

8. CardBus 10/100 Ethernet choices?

9. Another Dork With A Problem, Claire, Fix Him, Will You?

10. Dork Newbie Question: Does TkNet handle Dial-Up Accounts?

11. Another poor dork in deep shit, Claire!

12. Custom Dorked - Manual Install ?

13. dork in need of help (very new)