Change color depth for xdm/KDE on Solaris??

Change color depth for xdm/KDE on Solaris??

Post by Brandon Hopp » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:35:29

I'm running KDE on Solaris 7. I've installed it as a user since I am not
root.

In the end of .dtprofile, I put SESSIONTYPE=xdm, and then started KDE
with startkde in my .xsessions file. This way I run KDE instead of CDE
from the dtlogin.

The proble now is that KDE is in 8 bit. I want to change the depth to
24. One way I read is to change the Xservers file so that it reads:

:0 local /usr/openwin/bin/X -bpp 24

but since I'm not root, I cannot edit the Xservers file nor the
xdm-config file. I can pass a config file to xdm with -config
<config_file>, but I do not know how what calls xdm.

Is there anyway I can change the color depth of xdm??

Post by Shao W » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:01:55

> I'm running KDE on Solaris 7. I've installed it as a user since I am not
> root.

> In the end of .dtprofile, I put SESSIONTYPE=xdm, and then started KDE
> with startkde in my .xsessions file. This way I run KDE instead of CDE
> from the dtlogin.

> The proble now is that KDE is in 8 bit. I want to change the depth to
> 24. One way I read is to change the Xservers file so that it reads:

> :0 local /usr/openwin/bin/X -bpp 24

> but since I'm not root, I cannot edit the Xservers file nor the
> xdm-config file. I can pass a config file to xdm with -config
> <config_file>, but I do not know how what calls xdm.

> Is there anyway I can change the color depth of xdm??

su - root
fbconfig -depth 24

Post by Liam O'Too » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:58:35

> I'm running KDE on Solaris 7. I've installed it as a user since I am not
> root.

> In the end of .dtprofile, I put SESSIONTYPE=xdm, and then started KDE
> with startkde in my .xsessions file. This way I run KDE instead of CDE
> from the dtlogin.

> The proble now is that KDE is in 8 bit. I want to change the depth to
> 24. One way I read is to change the Xservers file so that it reads:

> :0 local /usr/openwin/bin/X -bpp 24

> but since I'm not root, I cannot edit the Xservers file nor the
> xdm-config file. I can pass a config file to xdm with -config
> <config_file>, but I do not know how what calls xdm.

> Is there anyway I can change the color depth of xdm??

To change the colour depth of your kde session, try

    startx kde -- -depth 24

See the startx man page for more information.

Liam