Email Limits

Post by Matthew Crav » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>re,
>    New to the sysadmin game...I have users wanting to email very large
>files. Is there a limit imposed by the RFP's? I run Solaris 2.5.1 with

So far as I know, the RFCs for SMTP define no limits on the size of email
messages. However, sendmail can be (and frequently is) configured to reject
mail over a certain (arbitrary) size, mainly to prevent someone from trying
to bring down your server by mailing a few hundred gigs of random data to
it. (I usually configure sendmail to bounce messages over 6 megs or so,
depending on how much free disk space the mail server usually has.)

/MC

Matthew Cravit, N9VWG               | Experience is what allows you to

Email Limits

Post by Andy Thaggar » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

re,
        New to the sysadmin game...I have users wanting to email very large
files. Is there a limit imposed by the RFP's? I run Solaris 2.5.1 with
Sun sendmail.

Email Limits

Post by Justin M. Strein » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>re,
>    New to the sysadmin game...I have users wanting to email very large
>files. Is there a limit imposed by the RFP's? I run Solaris 2.5.1 with
>Sun sendmail.

There is no maximum that I know of in RFC822, however you can set a
maximum message size in your sendmail.cf.  I forget the exact argument in
sendmail.cf, however there is one.  You may also want to upgrade your mail
transport to either Berkeley sendmail 8.8.5 (www.sendmail.org) or an
alternate transport such as qmail (www.qmail.org).  It's been my
experience that vendor implementations of sendmail have a poor track
record for security exploits.

jms

1. E-Mail E-Mail E-Mail

This has been driving me nutty. I decided to setup a small business with
linux as a file/printer/e-mail/internet server (2 offices, about 10 clients
at each)
I can do all of the rest (file,printing, and internet access) but I am
having a hell of a time understanding linux (unix) e-mail. I have searched
countless how to's but just want to know one thing. How do I do the
following:
Allow 2 offices to send and receive e-mail to each other
Allow each office to send and receive e-mail locally (don't go out to the
internet when you want to send something to the guy in the next cube)
Have a dial up connection retrieve e-mail from an internet POP server, and
deliver it a win95 client when the win95 client requests it.
I'm assuming i need sendmail (or qmail), a pop server, and a ppp connection.
DO i need a DNS server or can I just resolve through hosts file?
Can someone please point me to a good source on the subject of e-mail, or
offer some advice.
Thank You

2. Unsupported X Windows visual (class: StaticGray, depth: 0)

3. extract email from text file and send an email to the email address

4. FWB Hard Disk Toolkit Personal Edition and AUX

5. Email aliases limit

6. Looking for a portable IKE library

7. limiting email message size

8. Create terminal problem

9. Limit EMail alias usage.

10. Limited Size of Incoming Email?

11. Limit E-email size

12. SCO mail - 100K limit on e-mail messages

13. Why should you limit email in size?