How to move data from one server to another?

How to move data from one server to another?

Post by Philip Colm » Thu, 06 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Occasionally, I have a need to move a directory of data from one server to another.

I generally use tar as this seems to meet all of my requirements nicely, eg
preserving ownership and access rights, copying from source directly to
destination.

Unfortunately, it does have a rather annoying limitation of only supporting a
path of 256 characters.

Is there source available to overcome this problem? Or can someone suggest an
alternative to using tar?

--Philip

--
Philip Colmer, Senior Systems Administrator
Acorn Computers Ltd, Acorn House, Vision Park, Histon, Cambridge,

The views expressed in this article are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Acorn Computers Ltd.

How to move data from one server to another?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 06 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Occasionally, I have a need to move a directory of data from one server to another.
>I generally use tar as this seems to meet all of my requirements nicely, eg
>preserving ownership and access rights, copying from source directly to
>destination.
>Unfortunately, it does have a rather annoying limitation of only supporting a
>path of 256 characters.
>Is there source available to overcome this problem? Or can someone suggest an
>alternative to using tar?

ufsdump - works for partial dumps, as long it runs as root.

cpio, my favourite move directory tree program.

Casper

Post by Ian F » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Occasionally, I have a need to move a directory of data from one server to another.

: I generally use tar as this seems to meet all of my requirements nicely, eg
: preserving ownership and access rights, copying from source directly to
: destination.

: Unfortunately, it does have a rather annoying limitation of only supporting a
: path of 256 characters.

: Is there source available to overcome this problem? Or can someone suggest an
: alternative to using tar?

: --Philip

What we've done in the past, and may apply to your situation if this
needn't be done too frequently, is to NFS share the directory then just
copy the stuff over.  Mind you it will cause a mojor surge in network
traffic, but that's not too bad if you don't have too many hosts on your
network.

It's just a suggestion...

Good Luck

Ian Foo