Checking 8mm backup tape contents

Post by Dennis B. Veg » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I have some 8mm tapes, which are backups of our filesystems, that were
written sequentially using the ufsdump and mt commands. I want to know
a simple method to view the contents of each tape, like a summary that
shows the filesystems, dump dates and the media blosk sizes.

Right now I'm using the ufsrestore command to view the summary of 1
dump and mt to go to the next dump. It's tedious and takes a lot of
time. I'm planning to write a simple shell script for this but if
there's a simpler method or if you've already written a script for
this, I would be glad if you'd share with to me.  Thanks.

By the way, the platform is SS5 running Solaris 2.4.

Dennis

Post by Hostmaste » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have some 8mm tapes, which are backups of our filesystems, that were
> written sequentially using the ufsdump and mt commands. I want to know
> a simple method to view the contents of each tape, like a summary that
> shows the filesystems, dump dates and the media blosk sizes.

> Right now I'm using the ufsrestore command to view the summary of 1
> dump and mt to go to the next dump. It's tedious and takes a lot of
> time. I'm planning to write a simple shell script for this but if
> there's a simpler method or if you've already written a script for
> this, I would be glad if you'd share with to me.  Thanks.

        DOn't think there is any "easy" way to get that info,
other than what you are doing and scanning the entire tape.
I assume you are aware of the /etc/dumpdates file, but that
these are tapes which no one bothered to label?
        Good luck -- if you do write that little utility,
I'd like a copy!
--
                                          John
John Murtari                              Software Workshop Inc.

http://www.thebook.com/

Post by Matthew D. Hea » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have some 8mm tapes, which are backups of our filesystems, that were
> written sequentially using the ufsdump and mt commands. I want to know
> a simple method to view the contents of each tape, like a summary that
> shows the filesystems, dump dates and the media blosk sizes.

> Right now I'm using the ufsrestore command to view the summary of 1
> dump and mt to go to the next dump. It's tedious and takes a lot of
> time. I'm planning to write a simple shell script for this but if
> there's a simpler method or if you've already written a script for
> this, I would be glad if you'd share with to me.  Thanks.

> By the way, the platform is SS5 running Solaris 2.4.

I don't believe there's any way of doing this that's a whole lot
easier than what you're doing -- which is indeed a royal pain in
the rear.  I particularly love situations when a user is not sure
when they last had the file in question, so I have to do a Great
Tape Hunt.  Basically, there's no way to avoid grovelling through
all those tapes if you want to see what's on them.

What you *can* do, though, with future backups is to save all the
messages from ufsdump in a logfile; the way I'm doing it, I keep
all those files in /usr/local/backups with names like 98.01.27_Lev5
for the one that ran in the wee hours of this morning.

Some people also have their backup script rewind after doing the
ufsdump on each filesystem and do a 'ufsrestore -t' to show the
directory.  If you do this, then you gotta make sure you're getting
the arguments to mt right so you don't write over previous dumpfiles...

Anyway, the point is, unless your backup script saves some kind of
logfile/directory, you cannot find out what's on the tapes without
grovelling through them.

Many third-party backup systems for Unix and other OSes keep their
own catalogs of the backups, letting you search the catalogs before
inserting any tapes.  I've used some of these on Mac and Windows, and
they can be _very_ helpful.  Trouble is, such packages for Unix all
seem to have insane prices -- seems they assume anyone buying third
party backup SW for Unix must be running a corporate server with a
big budget...
--------

As of 20 Oct 1997, only 802 days until Y2K....
Resistance _is_ futile! I have been absorbed by the BORG!  After
years of Unix and MacOS, I just got myself a home Windoze Box :-(

Post by Tim Whi » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> I have some 8mm tapes, which are backups of our filesystems, that were
>> written sequentially using the ufsdump and mt commands. I want to know
>> a simple method to view the contents of each tape, like a summary that
>> shows the filesystems, dump dates and the media blosk sizes.

  I had a simple tool I wrote at a previous job to do the same thing. I
 basically use 'mt eom' to go to the end of written media. I then use
 'status' to tell me how many files there are on tape, rewind the tape,
 and basically sit in a loop doing an 'ls' then a 'q'. By logging this
 I could see every partition quickly. I pop in a tape and ran my script.

  Other things help document the tapes...I had a simple script to touch a
 file in each filesystem on each  host at midnight..the files are named like
'.hostname.partition.date'. I can look at any dump tape and immmediately
 know which of dozens of machines the tape came from. At midnight we delete
 yesterdays files and create todays. Each filesystem ALWAYS has a zero length
 file change in it every day...so the incrementals are self documenting.

  There is an old  Berkeley tool to list the contents of a dump tape by
 parsing the dump format. Haven't used it in 4 or 5 years but it may
 work with ufsdump tapes..the tool is 'lldump'.

 ( if you got the disk space ) save the dump table of contents online.. this
 way you can find files to restore before ever mounting a tape.

Tim White                       Open Systems Administrative Services

(803)-561-6464                  Columbia, SC 29211

Remove the X's to email.

1. Re. copy 8mm tape to 8mm tape

.

try '# tcopy /dev/rmt<source#> /dev/rmt<target#>'

-frank-

| E-Mail: FRANVM3(KRAEMERF)                 - IBM VNET  "Yes, I'm one  |
| ======  IBMMAIL(DEIBM27S)                 - IBM-Mail   of those      |
|         DE.IBMX400.IBMMAIL.KRAEMER.KRAEME - X.400      stupid IBM    |

| Voice : +49-(0)611/776-364                                           |
| Mail  : Abraham-Lincoln Street 26, 6200 Wiesbaden, Germany           |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. Identifying a 3com card

3. Stupid Questions: Sun 8mm dump tape =>AIX 8mm dump tape

4. Users and Password from NT

5. How can I get the IBM RS6000's 8mm tape to read other 8mm tapes ?

6. Microsoft fooling justice?

7. Checking for write protect on 8mm tapes.

8. corrupted display

9. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

10. Problems with 8mm tape drive and backups.

11. backup problem: can not reach 5GB on the 8mm tape, please help!

12. Doing multiple backups on the 6000 8mm tape

13. How to backup AIX3.2 from 8mm tape to 1/4" catrides?