1. Cable-modem + linksys router: still need firewall on Sun/Solaris?
Cable-modem + Linksys router (NOTE: "comes with its own firewall"):
QUESTION: still need "another" firewall, on the Sun itself?"
Here at home, we just got a "cable modem" connection to
Thus far, it's connected (and networked) to two pc's, both win2k'd.
Is now time, I am informed (ordered, actually) to join in [and
then get rid of beloved shell-acct & 2nd phone line :-( ].
That shell account is *wonderful*: >= 30 days retention on ascii news-groups,
plus, best of all, essentially *impossible* for hacker or bot to
enter my computer (blade100).
(Thus, up until this impending hookup to our cable-modem, my Blade100 and its
predecessor sun3/160 and sparc5 will have been 100%-"stand alone".)
(And thus I have ZERO experience owning or even using a networked machine --
which is why I'm forced to ask these simple-minded questions.)
Now, once hooked-in to the cable-modem (via walk-through via sun-service),
what can (should?) I do to *further* protect me from the ubiquitous
hackers & bots everyone seems to be plagued by?
I'm told that the router (Linksys) *already* protects us all via
its *own* firewall.
What *else* can (should) I do for security?
eg, install a separate firewall on my Blade100?
If so, which one? (And how?)
. I'm running Solaris 9 -- does security-stuff come bundled with that?
. Does Sun supply a downloadable freebie-firewall? (Any good?)
. Gnu, sourceforge, etc?
. non-freebie (but *very* inexpensive)?
Thanks so much!
2. News item: What Linux users think about Linux
3. Need help! Static IP, Cable modem.
4. Port Forwarder for Solaris 8
5. wan ip address from linksys cable router
6. auto:auto:No such file...
7. Redhat 6.2 with a Linksys router and cable modem
8. Install from Pro audio 16??
9. Cable modem with Linux Router Project & Fireplug Edge Router - help with wierd ports!
10. RedHat 5.1, cable modem & static IP address
11. Setting-up DNS via Cable Modem with Static IP
12. Problems with Gnet BB2060 DSL modem/router and routing static IP's
13. DNS issues with Cable Modem, static IP, and RH6.2