Static IP + linksys router + Cable Modem Solaris HELP!

Static IP + linksys router + Cable Modem Solaris HELP!

Post by Vilasack Phothis » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:11:37

Ok,

Here is my problem:

I can not setup my SunBlade 100 to have a static ip address and have
it have an internet connection. In order to have inter net connection
I have to use DHCP and that will work.

this is what I have:

1. cable Modem
2. Linksys router
3. SunBlade

My Goal:

I want my Sun Solaris ip to be 192.168.1.70 and the hostname to be
"MICHIGAN". pretty simple.

here is the information that might help you:

router ip: 192.168.1.1
interface= eri0

any one can help?

Post by Kevin R. Pace » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 00:14:19

> Ok,

> Here is my problem:

> I can not setup my SunBlade 100 to have a static ip address and have
> it have an internet connection. In order to have inter net connection
> I have to use DHCP and that will work.

> this is what I have:

> 1. cable Modem
> 2. Linksys router
> 3. SunBlade

> My Goal:

> I want my Sun Solaris ip to be 192.168.1.70 and the hostname to be
> "MICHIGAN". pretty simple.

> here is the information that might help you:

> router ip: 192.168.1.1
> interface= eri0

> any one can help?

Look at:
FAQs: 3477
How to manually set the hostname of a DHCP client ?

on sunsolve.sun.com

-krp

1. Cable-modem + linksys router: still need firewall on Sun/Solaris?

 Cable-modem + Linksys router (NOTE: "comes with its own firewall"):

QUESTION: still need "another" firewall, on the Sun itself?"

Here at home, we just got a "cable modem" connection to
the internet.

Thus far, it's connected (and networked) to two pc's, both win2k'd.

Is now time, I am informed (ordered, actually) to join in [and
then get rid of beloved shell-acct & 2nd phone line :-(   ].

That shell account is *wonderful*:  >= 30 days retention on ascii news-groups,
plus, best of all, essentially *impossible* for hacker or bot to
enter my computer (blade100).

(Thus, up until this impending hookup to our cable-modem, my Blade100 and its
predecessor sun3/160 and sparc5 will have been 100%-"stand alone".)

(And thus I have ZERO experience owning or even using a networked machine --
which is why I'm forced to ask these simple-minded questions.)

 ----

Now, once hooked-in to the cable-modem (via walk-through via sun-service),
what can (should?) I do to *further* protect me from the ubiquitous
hackers & bots everyone seems to be plagued by?

 ----

I'm told that the router (Linksys) *already* protects us all via
its *own* firewall.

What *else* can (should) I do for security?

eg, install a separate firewall on my Blade100?

 ----

If so, which one?  (And how?)

 . I'm running Solaris 9 -- does security-stuff come bundled with that?

 . Does Sun supply a downloadable freebie-firewall?  (Any good?)

 . Gnu, sourceforge, etc?

 . non-freebie (but *very* inexpensive)?

Thanks so much!

David

2. News item: What Linux users think about Linux

3. Need help! Static IP, Cable modem.

4. Port Forwarder for Solaris 8

5. wan ip address from linksys cable router

6. auto:auto:No such file...

7. Redhat 6.2 with a Linksys router and cable modem

8. Install from Pro audio 16??

9. Cable modem with Linux Router Project & Fireplug Edge Router - help with wierd ports!

10. RedHat 5.1, cable modem & static IP address

11. Setting-up DNS via Cable Modem with Static IP

12. Problems with Gnet BB2060 DSL modem/router and routing static IP's

13. DNS issues with Cable Modem, static IP, and RH6.2