lpd failure on Solaris 2.4 (busy public message device)

lpd failure on Solaris 2.4 (busy public message device)

Post by Graham Bu » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,

We are running a Sparc 5 clone with Solaris 2.4 and supporting about 30
users using PC-NFS.

Our lpd failed suddenly this morning with the message "can't create
public message device (device busy)" in the /var/lp/logs/lpsched log
file.

The daemon could not be restarted (with lpsched) until the system was
rebooted.

Can someone explain what happened and what action can be take to prevent
this kind of failure in future.

Hank de Wit
Computer Manager
Bureau of Meteorology