Recommendations for Solaris x86 PC hardware?

Recommendations for Solaris x86 PC hardware?

Post by Kirk Ols » Thu, 09 Dec 1993 22:35:26

I've been asked to write a Solaris x86 device driver,
for an ethernet card.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pc configuration to set
up.  I've already ordered Solaris x86, Proworks C, and the Sunsoft DDK
cdrom.

Also suggestions on _supported_ hardware to avoid would be good.

Thanks.
--
kirk olsen

imagine LAN Inc.
Suite 34B, 76 Northeastern Blvd., Nashua NH USA 03062   (603)889-5889

Post by David Holla » Fri, 10 Dec 1993 03:37:40

>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pc configuration to set
>up.  I've already ordered Solaris x86, Proworks C, and the Sunsoft DDK
>cdrom.

486DX-50/DX2-66. Minimum 16Megs RAM, perferably more.
Accelerated video. (Openwindows is extremely slow, on basically 'dumb
framebuffer' type cards.)

Disk, perferably SCSI.  IDE would work if you care to wait
for it.  As for how much....
Well, I've got 900Megs on my system, Did a full
install of just the x86 CD, and I've got enough space
left over I can do X11R5 development comfortably.
(Does that tell you anything?)

The full operating system takes 250-300Megs, I've no
idea what ProWorks, and the DDK require.

Quote:>Also suggestions on _supported_ hardware to avoid would be good.

Only thing I've found, is older WD8003 cards. The support is flakey,
and the Late Breaking News flyer has flat out WRONG instructions
reguarding them.

>Thanks.
>--
>kirk olsen

>imagine LAN Inc.
>Suite 34B, 76 Northeastern Blvd., Nashua NH USA 03062       (603)889-5889

David Holland
--
David Holland

Dream another dream, this dream is over. (Van Halen)

1. Hardware recommendation for a 64-node PC cluster

Need some recommendations on building a 64-node cluster for my school's
Biometrics lab. The funding for the project is limited (<$100K). I am
thinking about utilizing commercially available off-the-self motherboards,
processor, memory and PC chassis for the project. The cluster will be
running under Linux O.S. with Linux-based MPI applications. Any suggestions
on processors, motherboards and chassis will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tony

2. Username length

3. Any recommendations for single board x86 embedded system hardware?

4. linux and dos partition

5. recommendation on hardware recommendation

6. vaxstaion 4000 vlc

7. Solaris Hardware Recommendations

8. Which PostScript laser printer?

9. Q: SCSI CD-ROM Drive recommendation for Solaris 2.4 x86-OS/2 setup

10. Solaris X86 - Disc Controller Recommendations

11. Laptop recommendations x86 Solaris?

12. Solaris 10 (x86) partition schema recommendations

13. Recommendation Configuration for Solaris x86