Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by Alan Hann » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Is Motif part of the Solaris 2.4 release?  I want to run it instead of
: Open Windows

  The Motif Libraries are included on Solaris 2.4, however the MWM (Motif
Window Manager) is not.

--

Network Systems Administrator      Voice: (402) 472-0239
MIDnet, Lincoln NOC Office         Fax:   (402) 472-0240

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by Technical Sta » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Is Motif part of the Solaris 2.4 release?  I want to run it instead of
Open Windows

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by Michael Whiti » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

You can get the motif window manager (mwm) as part of the Solaris Common
Desktop Environment 1.0 (CDE package)...
Fire up your WWW browser and go to...
http://www.sun.com/cgi-bin/show?cde/index.body

  OR
Buy IXI's "Premier" Motif or Panaorama2.0 see...
( http://www.x.co.uk/products/panorama/
  or
  http://www.sun.com/sunexpress/whatsnew/pressrelease.html#motif )
  OR
Get Solaris 2.5????

----------

                     Mike Whitis

                    212-238-2599

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by Franz Fehring » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> You can get the motif window manager (mwm) as part of the Solaris Common
> Desktop Environment 1.0 (CDE package)...
> Fire up your WWW browser and go to...
> http://www.sun.com/cgi-bin/show?cde/index.body

>   OR
> Buy IXI's "Premier" Motif or Panaorama2.0 see...
> ( http://www.x.co.uk/products/panorama/
>   or
>   http://www.sun.com/sunexpress/whatsnew/pressrelease.html#motif )
>   OR
> Get Solaris 2.5????

You also get mwm version 1.2.3 as part of SDK (Software Developer Kit).

Greetings

Franz Fehringer

--
Franz Fehringer

Telefon +49 30 314 23607
Telefax +49 30 314 21110

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by Pierre-Etienne Charti » Sun, 10 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> Is Motif part of the Solaris 2.4 release?  I want to run it instead of
> Open Windows

I think you'll find only the Motif libraries but not any programs for it
though...

Pierre-Etienne Chartier
Systems Analyst, Logibro

_______Pierre-Etienne Chartier__________________________________________________
_______Sysadmin_________________________________________________________________
----->+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+==+=<-----
----->  Indeed, it would not be an exaggeration to describe the history   <-----
----->           of the computer industry for the past decade as          <-----
----->                a massive attempt to keep up with Apple             <-----
----->                            BYTE 12/94                              <-----
----->+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=++=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+==+=<-----

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by J.A. Pete » Wed, 20 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> > Is Motif part of the Solaris 2.4 release?  I want to run it instead of
> > Open Windows

> I think you'll find only the Motif libraries but not any programs for it
> though...

Support for Motif is contained the SUNWmfrun package, Motif RunTime Kit.
This does not contain the mwm client. The package is installed in /usr/dt,
the root directory for Sun's CDE offering.

Cheers,

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by Freedom Software Suppor » Thu, 21 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> > > Is Motif part of the Solaris 2.4 release?  I want to run it instead of
> > > Open Windows

> > I think you'll find only the Motif libraries but not any programs for it
> > though...
> Support for Motif is contained the SUNWmfrun package, Motif RunTime Kit.
> This does not contain the mwm client. The package is installed in /usr/dt,
> the root directory for Sun's CDE offering.
> Cheers,

You might find more information about this topic on the Motif
home page. The URL for this useful resource is:

http://fsw.com/motif.html

Regards,

Cliff

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by D.S. » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: > > Is Motif part of the Solaris 2.4 release?  I want to run it instead of
: > > Open Windows
: >
: > I think you'll find only the Motif libraries but not any programs for it
: > though...

: Support for Motif is contained the SUNWmfrun package, Motif RunTime Kit.
: This does not contain the mwm client. The package is installed in /usr/dt,
: the root directory for Sun's CDE offering.

The Motif Window Manager is available on the Solaris SDK CD.
Of course, you'll have to purchase this separately.

--

==========
Daniel Yu

        "Sometimes it's damned hard to tell the dancer from the dance."
                                                -Roger Zelazny
==========

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by franakri.. » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Two books you can order from SunSoft, plus one by Becker, Morris, Slattery.
Also O'Reilly has a second edition of Essential System Administration and
Nemeth and crew have a second edition of their book.

Motif and Solaris 2.4?

Post by Daedal » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>: Support for Motif is contained the SUNWmfrun package, Motif RunTime Kit.
>: This does not contain the mwm client. The package is installed in /usr/dt,
>: the root directory for Sun's CDE offering.

>The Motif Window Manager is available on the Solaris SDK CD.
>Of course, you'll have to purchase this separately.

The funny thing is that Sun will allow purchasers of the SDK to freely
distribute MWM as part of their application  distribution. They may as well
keep it available on their ftp site, except that they don't wish to provide
support for it and would like the application developers to provide support
if they ship MWM. In addition, they only see MWM as a temporary software
that will be replaced by DTWM in the CDE.

On the other hand, an independent software vendor can freely ship the
dynamic Motif libraries from the Solaris 2.4 CD as part of their application
and Sun will provide support for all users of the dynamic libraries. I
don't understand why they don't keep this available on their web/ftp site
and save the trouble for ISVs to package the motif libraries just for the
benefit of those Solaris 2.3 users that don't have the Motif dynamic libraries.
Once most of the 2.3 machines have the Motif libraries installed,
ISVs could simply distribute the dynamically linked application and not
worry about the availability of Motif.

Perhaps even Netscape folks would release a dynamically linked version then
or at least a version for the Solaris X86 which badly needs a web browser.

Couldn't any Solaris 2.4 (SPARC or X86) user simply keep the Motif dynamic
libraries available on a web/ftp site to ensure that Motif becomes a commonly
available library on most 2.3 machines?

1. Is solaris 2.4 motif the same the cde motif ?

I have noticed that solaris 2.4 motif is version 1.2.3 and it gets
installed under /usr/dt.  So this a question of those of you that have
already installed the early access version.

It looks like solaris 2.4 motif is installed under the same place as
the cde motif.  It is the same as the cde's motif and do you get cde
with solaris 2.4 ?

Thanks,
Minh Tran-Le.

2. Laplink to copy DOS files to Merge?

3. Solaris 2.4, Motif & HP Jetadmin

4. NNTP newsreaders

5. Build: X11R5 and Motif 1.2.5 on Solaris 2.4

6. Icon V9.0 X Windows Question

7. Motif w/ Solaris 2.4 ?

8. SSI on an Apache virtual server???

9. Motif 1.2.2 & Solaris 2.4

10. Solaris 2.4 and Motif

11. FileSelectionDialog problem on Solaris 2.4 Motif 1.2.2

12. Motif app ported to Solaris 2.4 runs too slow

13. Does Motif come with Solaris 2.4?