Give away PC-NFS please!!

Post by James Prest » Fri, 01 Apr 1994 22:33:31

I just had an idea!!
Sun should be giving away all kinds of PC-NFS and Mac-NFS software
with their machines. This would make using Suns as servers in networked
offices the obvious choice at very little cost to Sun. It is an incredible
pain to try and network an office when you need to pay $$$ for each PC-NFS
node, etc,etc. A real commitment to open systems would be
to provide people with the tools necessary to open up the systems that they
have without bleeding them for money every step of the way. This kind
of approach could quickly strengthen Sun's market position incredibly.

Sound stupid?? Well, isn't Sun's promininence in the market a pretty direct
result of practically giving a lot of machines to Universities??

bye
jlp

Give away PC-NFS please!!

Post by Steve Goldfie » Sat, 02 Apr 1994 02:14:02

#>
[...]

Actually, there is a loophole by which Sun almost gives away
PC-NFS, at least at a very substantial discount. If you have
one of the PC-NFS competitors, such as FTP's PC/TCP, Sun
offers a competitive upgrade at a fraction of the
full price. I think I'm paying something like $675 for
a ten-user license. Since we have a site license for
PC/TCP, that was similarly priced, and I've only paid about
a third of the advertised price for PC-NFS. I certainly
wouldn't argue against Sun giving it away for free, but
until then ... (The $675 includes the base package, the
license, and the documentation.)
#=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

#University of California at Berkeley     Richmond Field Station

Give away PC-NFS please!!

Post by Yuri Kost » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 00:41:13

: I just had an idea!!
: Sun should be giving away all kinds of PC-NFS and Mac-NFS software
: with their machines. This would make using Suns as servers in networked
: offices the obvious choice at very little cost to Sun. It is an incredible
: pain to try and network an office when you need to pay $$$ for each PC-NFS
: node, etc,etc. A real commitment to open systems would be
: to provide people with the tools necessary to open up the systems that they
: have without bleeding them for money every step of the way. This kind
: of approach could quickly strengthen Sun's market position incredibly.

: Sound stupid?? Well, isn't Sun's promininence in the market a pretty direct
: result of practically giving a lot of machines to Universities??

No, it doesn't. But don't forget that PC-NFS and SPARCs are products of
different (friendly but different) companies: Sun Micros... Computer
Corp. and SunSelect.

Give away PC-NFS please!!

Post by John Caywo » Fri, 08 Apr 1994 04:28:12

: : I just had an idea!!
: : Sun should be giving away all kinds of PC-NFS and Mac-NFS software
: : with their machines. This would make using Suns as servers in networked
: : offices the obvious choice at very little cost to Sun. It is an incredible
: : pain to try and network an office when you need to pay $$$ for each PC-NFS
: : node, etc,etc. A real commitment to open systems would be
I don't know about a *total* giveaway, but I think I ought to be able to
buy PC-NFS -- on the street, as they say -- for $59.95 qty 1 price, and
bundled with mail, super telnet, etc. for $99.95.  And if I buy Solaris
I ought to be able to get an even better break on the first 5 or 10
copies I buy.

Solaris on a small Sparc, Classic or SS5, would make a terrific replacement
for a N---ll server; Solaris x86 might also. But not at $400 per PC.

--
 "If you've always done it that way, it's probably wrong"
 --------------------------------------attributed to Edward Kettering

Give away PC-NFS please!!

Post by Frank Gre » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 23:08:16

>Sun should be giving away all kinds of PC-NFS and Mac-NFS software
>with their machines. This would make using Suns as servers in networked
>offices the obvious choice at very little cost to Sun. It is an incredible
>pain to try and network an office when you need to pay $$$ for each PC-NFS
>node, etc,etc. A real commitment to open systems would be
>to provide people with the tools necessary to open up the systems that they
>have without bleeding them for money every step of the way. This kind
>of approach could quickly strengthen Sun's market position incredibly.

        To sacrifice revenue?  Hello?  Anyone home?  I'm sure SunSelect
        is in favor of this... ;)

        Sun *already* has an excellent market position.

Quote:>Sound stupid??

        Dare I answer?

Quote:>Well, isn't Sun's promininence in the market a pretty direct
>result of practically giving a lot of machines to Universities??

        Nope.  All vendors have a healthy discount to universities.

        Frank G.
--
+-On Assignment at: Lehman Brothers-+-Office: Mercury Technologies, Inc.-+
| World Financial Center, 11th Floor| 53 Wall Street - Fifth Floor       |

Give away PC-NFS please!!

Post by Syed Zaeem Hosa » Sat, 16 Apr 1994 01:46:37

>>Well, isn't Sun's promininence in the market a pretty direct
>>result of practically giving a lot of machines to Universities??

>    Nope.  All vendors have a healthy discount to universities.

Yeah, this practice was started by IBM and/or DEC well before Sun came
into existence ...

| Syed Zaeem Hosain          P. O. Box 610097            (408) 441-7021 |

Give away PC-NFS please!!

Post by Steve Goldfie » Sat, 16 Apr 1994 05:22:19

Now that I've bought PC-NFS and started trying to install it,
I'm not sure you want it, even for free. The installation procedure
is as hairy and contorted as anything I've ever seen and the
manuals are incomprehensible, especially on the Solaris side.
I had to phone SunSelect support to find out about an
environment variable that had to be set. I'm still looking
for an explanation of how to add entries to the licensing
database. I'm not looking forward to the printer configuration.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

University of California at Berkeley     Richmond Field Station

Give away PC-NFS please!!

Post by Farid Rah » Thu, 21 Apr 1994 18:32:07

Quote:> Now that I've bought PC-NFS and started trying to install it,
> I'm not sure you want it, even for free. The installation procedure
> is as hairy and contorted as anything I've ever seen and the
> manuals are incomprehensible, especially on the Solaris side.

Gee, and these people won prizes for excellent documentation ;-)

Quote:> I had to phone SunSelect support to find out about an
> environment variable that had to be set. I'm still looking
> for an explanation of how to add entries to the licensing
> database.

The simplest way to do so is to create a dumb ASCII file holding the license
numbers and feed that one to plum. plum will create plumdb, holding the working db.
Make a backup of that, it can get screwed up under certain circumstances. If you
have a backup copy or a dumb ASCII file, recreating it is peanuts. Look into
the plum help files for some info.

Quote:> I'm not looking forward to the printer configuration.

Most people*up here as well. This is because few people know how the printing
mechanism works : a_drive_is_mounted_by_NET_USE_LPT_contacting_PCNFSD_which_will_
create_/var/spool/pcnfs/pcname_which_should_be_exported_because_it_will_be_mounted_
on_a_logical_drive.

Good Luck,

Farid.

1. NFS BW-NFS and PC-NFS

I am having trouble mounting a file system on my linux box.  I have tried
to use either BW-NFS or PC-NFS on several PC's to mount a machine running
Linux (1.1.18).  I have portmapper running along with mountd , and either
PC-NFS or BW-NFS daemons.

I try to map d: to a file system that is in my exports file and the PC hangs.
Has anyone seen this problem.  I am able to use telnet and ping from these
machines but NFS is not working.

Thomas Glaser
PC/Network Admin.
University Book Store

2. X_FreeColors Resource problem

3. PC-NFS PC-to-PC copy is it possible?

4. Will I destroy my monitor?

5. NFS <=> PC-NFS

6. Performance and Load Balancing in Dual Athlon Kernels?

7. Looking for Cheap/Free PC-NFS Client Clone for PC's.

8. UNIX/LINUX commands.

9. mount PC files on UNIX using PC-NFS?

10. what software for PC-NFS (pc-end)

11. Backing up PC's to SUN's using PC-NFS

12. Experience w/ PC-NFS vs. PC NetLink?

13. NFS please help me please please please sniff