V880 rack mount kits

Post by Zcor » Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:27:31

Have installed several V880s in Sun 900 series racks using Sun's rackmount kit.
Considering the problems with mounting a several hundred pound server this
solution works fairly well. The main issue I have is the crawer/tray shifts
when the server is installed so that the bolts to lock that are to be installed
to keep the server/drawer from sliding either fit so poorly that they are
stripped as they are put in or cannot be put in at all.

At this point I have rased the front of the racks a 1/4 inch so that gravity
keeps the servers in place but am looking for a better solution. Anyone else
solve this problem?

V880 rack mount kits

Post by Marcin Dobruck » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:16:25

> Have installed several V880s in Sun 900 series racks using Sun's rackmount kit.
> Considering the problems with mounting a several hundred pound server this
> solution works fairly well. The main issue I have is the crawer/tray shifts
> when the server is installed so that the bolts to lock that are to be installed
> to keep the server/drawer from sliding either fit so poorly that they are
> stripped as they are put in or cannot be put in at all.

> At this point I have rased the front of the racks a 1/4 inch so that gravity
> keeps the servers in place but am looking for a better solution. Anyone else
> solve this problem?

   I have instaled several V880's in both the 900 and the old Sun racks.
  Same problem.  No matter how well I tighten the trays, and what tricks
I do, after the server is placed on the tray, the holes misalign.  I
can't understand what is so difficult to make it fit well.  Hello Sun?

   Similar problem exists with the upper brackets (does anyone really
fit these?).  When the server drops a little down, the holes misalign,
and you can't attach them properly.

   Since it's not quite everyday that we need to remove the 880's from
the racks for maintenance (albeit we do change the io cards frequently),
  we just hold ours with some cable ties, and reconnect after they are
upgraded.  It's been working fine so far.  The tray takes all the
weight, so the extra attachment is only to prevent the system sliding
out when someone pushes the cables in the back.

   /Marcin

V880 rack mount kits

Post by Scott Howar » Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:50:16

>> Have installed several V880s in Sun 900 series racks using Sun's rackmount kit.
>> Considering the problems with mounting a several hundred pound server this
>> solution works fairly well. The main issue I have is the crawer/tray shifts
>> when the server is installed so that the bolts to lock that are to be installed
>> to keep the server/drawer from sliding either fit so poorly that they are
>> stripped as they are put in or cannot be put in at all.

This problem has been fixed as of about two months ago. Any new V880's
you get should have a re-designed rail bracket which avoids this problems.

Unfortunately the new brackets are not available as a replacement part
so any existing servers you've got will have to stay as is, but at least
the new ones should be ok!

  Scott

V880 rack mount kits

Post by Greg Mortense » Sat, 07 Aug 2004 05:38:34

Quote:>At this point I have rased the front of the racks a 1/4 inch so that gravity
>keeps the servers in place but am looking for a better solution. Anyone else
>solve this problem?

  Get a SharkRack[1] V880 kit instead.  It mounts in a standard sized
cabinet (unlike Sun's), can be easily installed by one person (unlike
Sun's), and all of the holes line up (unlike Sun's).  It's a great
product (no affiliation).

  Regards,
    Greg

[1] http://www.sharkrack.com/cart/display.php?category_id=16
--

 /__( \___/ )__\ Crypto, Security, and Phrack:   | F0 72 75 FA 1E BD C9 66 |
    `\__`U_/'     http://pobox.com/~thevision    +-------- via WWW --------+