energy-saver screenblank

Post by Darrel Hankers » Sun, 02 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Sun said Solaris 2.4 includes energy-saver support for our 17inch
monitors (Sony; delivered with our Sparc-20s). I can find no
information in the answerbook.

The FAQ says:

    Solaris 2.4 comes with power management software for those systems
    with a soft-switchable power supply...powermanagement software can
    be used to switch off just the screen, by putting the following in
    the power.conf file:

Since I can't find power.conf, I suspect that my machine does not have
such a feature. So, I turned to Jef Poskanzer's screenblank, which
says:
          ...turning  off  the  screen's power...This  option  is
          only  available  on  systems that support it (currently
          only Solaris 2.4), and only works on screens that  sup-
          port it (currently only CG14).

I don't think I have a CG14 (but my monitor does have energy-saver
modes). As far as I can tell, screenblank will not trigger the proper
mode on my monitor.

Suggestions?

--

energy-saver screenblank

Post by Darrel Hankers » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

   [FAQ mentions power management software]

If I had looked more carefully, I would have seen the extra CD and
documentation in the distribution. Sorry.

Thanks to the the two folks who pointed me in the right direction.
I have omitted names, since these came via email.

   Date: Sat, 1 Jul 95
   Subject: energy-saver screenblank

   The power saver features are on a separate CD from the OS
   distribution. Were those extra "packages" installed on your machine ?
   Those packages probably also contain the appropriate answerbook pages

   Check you OS distribution (SMCC only, the FCS SunSoft distribution
   probably did not come with the extra CD.)

   Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995
   Subject: Re: energy-saver screenblank

   Screenblank seems to trigger power saving mode for me whether i'm
   in X or not. I use jef's screenblank too.

   I have an /etc/power.conf. There is also a power managament program
   called dtpower.

   They came in two packages called SUNWpmr and SUNWpmow. If they're not
   on your solaris 2.4 install cd they may be on the 'supplement' one.
   With your 2.4 media there should have been a manual on using power
   management.

--

1. Screenblank (energy saver) with Ultra-1/200e, OpenWindows

We've just put a Sun 18.1 inch flat screen monitor on an Ultra-1/200e.
The monitor worked fine with screenblank (energy saver) on another
Ultra-1/200e, switching to the yellow-light low energy mode after an
interval.  The machine it worked on ran CDE.  The user of the new
machine runs Open-Windows, and the display seems not to go into energy
saving mode.

A previous 20-inch CRT display did go into energy saving mode on the
Open-Windows machine.

How can we set the Open-Windows machine to pull the flat screen monitor
into energy saving mode (screen black, yellow light on the front of the
display) after an interval of no activity on this Open-Windows machine?

The user isn't interested in changing to CDE.

Thanks,

Ronald Florence                 www.18james.com

2. Dos and Linux

3. energy saver not working, screen is only blanking

4. PCI 2/3: misc fixes

5. "Energy" screen saver?

6. At Singlu-User SPARC C Compiler.

7. Should I use Energy Saver mode or Screen blank?

8. test

9. Utility to take advantage of Monitor Energy Saver feature

10. energy saver for xfree86_s3v

11. VESA energy saver with a new 2.4.0 kernel?