System Cloning Problem

Post by ps » Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:51:22

Hi All--

I'm trying to clone a V210 to a V100--I've ufsdumped the root partition,
installed the bootblock successfully, but it's locking up after displaying
the spinning cursor:

Sun Fire V100 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500MHz), No Keyboard
OpenBoot 4.0, 2048 MB memory installed, Serial #51591265.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:13:38:61, Host ID: 83133861.

Executing last command: boot -s

SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_117171-02 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
/

From what I understand, at this point the bootblk and ufsboot have
successfully loaded. /sbin/rcS hasn't loaded yet (I modified it to echo a
startup message) so I think that means there's a problem loading the kernel
or starting init. /etc/system and vfstab are correct as well.

Any idea why this isn't working, between two machines with the same
architecture? Is there anything I can do to debug this startup?

--Paul

System Cloning Problem

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:06:25

> Hi All--
> I'm trying to clone a V210 to a V100--I've ufsdumped the root partition,
> installed the bootblock successfully, but it's locking up after displaying
> the spinning cursor:
> Sun Fire V100 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500MHz), No Keyboard
> OpenBoot 4.0, 2048 MB memory installed, Serial #51591265.
> Ethernet address 0:3:ba:13:38:61, Host ID: 83133861.
> Executing last command: boot -s

> SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_117171-02 64-bit
> Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
> Use is subject to license terms.
> /
> From what I understand, at this point the bootblk and ufsboot have
> successfully loaded. /sbin/rcS hasn't loaded yet (I modified it to echo a
> startup message) so I think that means there's a problem loading the kernel
> or starting init. /etc/system and vfstab are correct as well.

At this stage, the system is loading device drivers.  You might try
using a -v boot to see which drivers have loaded.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

System Cloning Problem

Post by ps » Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:38:57

>> Hi All--

>> I'm trying to clone a V210 to a V100--I've ufsdumped the root partition,
>> installed the bootblock successfully, but it's locking up after displaying
>> the spinning cursor:

>> Sun Fire V100 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500MHz), No Keyboard
>> OpenBoot 4.0, 2048 MB memory installed, Serial #51591265.
>> Ethernet address 0:3:ba:13:38:61, Host ID: 83133861.

>> Executing last command: boot -s

>> SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_117171-02 64-bit
>> Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>> Use is subject to license terms.
>> /

>> From what I understand, at this point the bootblk and ufsboot have
>> successfully loaded. /sbin/rcS hasn't loaded yet (I modified it to echo a
>> startup message) so I think that means there's a problem loading the kernel
>> or starting init. /etc/system and vfstab are correct as well.

> At this stage, the system is loading device drivers.  You might try
> using a -v boot to see which drivers have loaded.

Ah thank you, that's helpful. It appears to be freezing just before it
enumerates (?) the processors. On a V100 I would get:

su0 at ebus0: offset 0,3f8

su1 at ebus0: offset 0,2e8

cpu0: UltraSPARC-IIe (portid 0 impl 0x13 ver 0x14 clock 500 MHz)

On the cloned system it locks up just before this:

su2 at ebus1: offset 0,3f8

su3 at ebus1: offset 0,2e8

(freeze)

A real V210 has UltraSPARC-IIIi's whereas the V100 uses UltraSPARC-IIe's. I
didn't think there was anything processor-specific in a particular
installation, am I wrong?

Thanks,
--Paul

System Cloning Problem

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:10:39

> A real V210 has UltraSPARC-IIIi's whereas the V100 uses UltraSPARC-IIe's. I
> didn't think there was anything processor-specific in a particular
> installation, am I wrong?

Yes.  "Cloning" systems this way, unless the models are pretty
much identcal, is a recipie for disaster at worst, or a waste
of time at best.

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

System Cloning Problem

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:18:07

>Hi All--
>I'm trying to clone a V210 to a V100--I've ufsdumped the root partition,
>installed the bootblock successfully, but it's locking up after displaying
>the spinning cursor:
>Sun Fire V100 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500MHz), No Keyboard
>OpenBoot 4.0, 2048 MB memory installed, Serial #51591265.
>Ethernet address 0:3:ba:13:38:61, Host ID: 83133861.
>Executing last command: boot -s

>SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_117171-02 64-bit
>Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>Use is subject to license terms.
>/
>From what I understand, at this point the bootblk and ufsboot have
>successfully loaded. /sbin/rcS hasn't loaded yet (I modified it to echo a
>startup message) so I think that means there's a problem loading the kernel
>or starting init. /etc/system and vfstab are correct as well.
>Any idea why this isn't working, between two machines with the same
>architecture? Is there anything I can do to debug this startup?

You probably copied /etc/path_to_inst.

If you want to clone to different systems, the only supported
way to do so is "flarcreate" (and install the other system from
the flash archive created)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

System Cloning Problem

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 01 Jul 2004 00:28:34

>> using a -v boot to see which drivers have loaded.

> Ah thank you, that's helpful. It appears to be freezing just before it
> enumerates (?) the processors. On a V100 I would get:
> su0 at ebus0: offset 0,3f8

> su1 at ebus0: offset 0,2e8

> cpu0: UltraSPARC-IIe (portid 0 impl 0x13 ver 0x14 clock 500 MHz)
> On the cloned system it locks up just before this:
> su2 at ebus1: offset 0,3f8

> su3 at ebus1: offset 0,2e8

> (freeze)
> A real V210 has UltraSPARC-IIIi's whereas the V100 uses UltraSPARC-IIe's. I
> didn't think there was anything processor-specific in a particular
> installation, am I wrong?

I wouldn't have thought so, and the processors don't generally have the
device specific files required by other drivers.

Nonetheless, it appears that such is possible with a Solaris
installation.  Have you tried using flash archives?

--

Post by ps » Thu, 01 Jul 2004 03:12:02

>> Hi All--

>> I'm trying to clone a V210 to a V100--I've ufsdumped the root partition,
>> installed the bootblock successfully, but it's locking up after displaying
>> the spinning cursor:

>> Sun Fire V100 (UltraSPARC-IIe 500MHz), No Keyboard
>> OpenBoot 4.0, 2048 MB memory installed, Serial #51591265.
>> Ethernet address 0:3:ba:13:38:61, Host ID: 83133861.

>> Executing last command: boot -s

>> SunOS Release 5.9 Version Generic_117171-02 64-bit
>> Copyright 1983-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>> Use is subject to license terms.
>> /

>> From what I understand, at this point the bootblk and ufsboot have
>> successfully loaded. /sbin/rcS hasn't loaded yet (I modified it to echo a
>> startup message) so I think that means there's a problem loading the kernel
>> or starting init. /etc/system and vfstab are correct as well.

>> Any idea why this isn't working, between two machines with the same
>> architecture? Is there anything I can do to debug this startup?

> You probably copied /etc/path_to_inst.

That was the problem, thanks! I will look into flash archives for future
non-emergency restores.

Thanks Casper and Darren for the helpful info!

--Paul

1. Cloning LSM disks and using the clones on 5.1A

Hello,
I have an LSM stripe of 4 disks.
I cloned the disks and am using the clones on a different server.
When I run "voldisk define /dev/disk/...." I see the the status of the
cloned disks is "online aliased".

This means I cannot use the disks and "import" the disk-group as I did
before 5.1A.
Did anyone manage to do that on 5.1A ?

Thank you
Dor

2. Redhat 4.1 & sound

3. Made a clone of Linux server and that clone is very ill....

4. Why all this NT bashing? Keep it out of comp.os.linux.advocacy!

5. copying / cloning a system disk, can't find an exact answer.

6. Has anyone used an ATI Allinwonder video card under linux

7. clone() system call (near) bug

8. Mbuf cluster allocation failed Error

9. How to clone a Debian system?

10. cloning a system

11. clone solaris system

12. System V Packaging clone

13. Alpha systems or clones for Linux or NT?