Question about OLD system

Post by Lee Johnso » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:23:17

Gang,
A friend has a Sparcstation 20 running SunOS 4.1.3 and some version of
Oracle.  One of his drives crashed and we finally found a drive to replace
it with.  After restoring his dump backup when it boots we get the
following message from Oracle:

ORA-00214: control file '/pf/oracle/dbs/ctrl2owgc3d1.ctl' version 2285
inconsistant with file '/pe/oracle/dbs/ctrl1owgc3d1.ctl' version 2166
attempting to shut down instance ..... Oracle instance shut down.

Partition /pe is on the replaced drive while /pf is not.  What do I do???

Thanks

Question about OLD system

Post by Pete' » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:09:23

> Gang,
> A friend has a Sparcstation 20 running SunOS 4.1.3 and some version of
> Oracle.  One of his drives crashed and we finally found a drive to replace
> it with.  After restoring his dump backup when it boots we get the
> following message from Oracle:

> ORA-00214: control file '/pf/oracle/dbs/ctrl2owgc3d1.ctl' version 2285
> inconsistant with file '/pe/oracle/dbs/ctrl1owgc3d1.ctl' version 2166
> attempting to shut down instance ..... Oracle instance shut down.

> Partition /pe is on the replaced drive while /pf is not.  What do I do???

> Thanks

You never mentioned what version of Oracle it was.  Based on the
version of the OS, I assume that you're on v6 or v7.  If so, I'm not
sure of what the exact steps would be.  Were any of the datafiles on
the same filesystem as the controlfile?  Do you have all of the
archive files from when the system crashed.  Was the database in
archive log mode?  If yes to the archive questions, then you should be
able to do the following:

1.  startup mount
2.  recover database automatic

Oracle should start asking where the archive files are, i.e. specific
archive files.  You should be able to answer:  auto, yes, no or
cancel.  Once finished applying archives, you should do the following:

1.  shutdown immediate
2.  startup

HTH,
Pete's

Question about OLD system

Post by aryzh » Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:41:33

> Gang,
> A friend has a Sparcstation 20 running SunOS 4.1.3 and some version of
> Oracle.  One of his drives crashed and we finally found a drive to replace
> it with.  After restoring his dump backup when it boots we get the
> following message from Oracle:

> ORA-00214: control file '/pf/oracle/dbs/ctrl2owgc3d1.ctl' version 2285
> inconsistant with file '/pe/oracle/dbs/ctrl1owgc3d1.ctl' version 2166
> attempting to shut down instance ..... Oracle instance shut down.

> Partition /pe is on the replaced drive while /pf is not.  What do I do???

may sound like a hack, but IMHO worth trying
  mv /pf /pf.orig
  ln -s /pe /pf
and try to start Oracle again
Rollback is:
  rm /pf
  mv /pf.orig /pf

Regards,
Andrei

1. X Windows and my old old old old video card

Hi. The card in question is an ISA ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (with the mach32
engine). The particular monitor that I'm using is an AST Vision 4L, and I
managed to root through the AST website (talk about counterintuitive!) so
I could get the horiz and vert scan lines etc. I can't seem to get X setup
right, when I run probe, it complains about a missing clocks line. Is
there any doc which can EXPLAIN xf86config? A man page helps, but getting
the theory fundas would be even nicer.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of support the linux community
provides. Also, being something of a DOS/Windows junkie ;=( in the past,
i'd appreciate it if I could be told where to get my hands on info that'll
help me migrate better.

regards
Aniruddha Shankar
BAngalore, India

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Redhat 3.0.3 won't install

3. Question about 20yr old UNIX system and a printer

4. NET: 2 messages suppressed on 2.4.2 kernel

5. Help with old freeswan and old linux on old hardware.

6. wget option

7. ufstype=old = how old? SunOS fstype=4.2 old?

8. fwrite error handling

9. Missing a serial number for SCO OS 4.2 (old-old-old...)

10. How to move users from an old system to a new system

11. Looking For A Old Sun 4 System

12. make install linux_base-6.1get system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk

13. using old system library files on RedHat 5.2