Printing TeX files using dvilj 2.5 on Solaris 2.5.1

Printing TeX files using dvilj 2.5 on Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Henrik Schmiedic » Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:00:00

    Hello,
I have attached a LasertJet III to a Solaris 2.5.1 system using serial
cables (configure using admintool). Printing regular ASCII files seems
to work OK. When I use dvilj (2.5) to print a TeX file an additional
blank pages always prints after the job. Also, the TeX files seem to
print slightly corrupted (this happens on two seperate Sun Sparc
systems running Solaris 2.5.1 with a LaserJet III attached to the
serial ports).

Anyone got dvilj working on a Solaris 2.5.1 / LasertJet III machine?
Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

    - Henrik
--
Henrik Schmiediche, Dept. of Statistics, Texas A&M, College Station, TX 77843

Printing TeX files using dvilj 2.5 on Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Brian Yode » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have the best results when I
use dvips and then use Ghostscript/Ghostview to print on non-
Postscript printers.
--
Brian Yoder

Post by Logan Sh » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>    Hello,
>I have attached a LasertJet III to a Solaris 2.5.1 system using serial
>cables (configure using admintool). Printing regular ASCII files seems
>to work OK. When I use dvilj (2.5) to print a TeX file an additional
>blank pages always prints after the job. Also, the TeX files seem to
>print slightly corrupted (this happens on two seperate Sun Sparc
>systems running Solaris 2.5.1 with a LaserJet III attached to the
>serial ports).

>Anyone got dvilj working on a Solaris 2.5.1 / LasertJet III machine?
>Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

You *may* need to edit the interface file for your printer (under
/etc/lp, I believe) and add a "stty -opost" in the appropriate place.

I had a similar problem with a printer I was installing -- the system
was sending binary data to the printer and the Solaris system would
corrupt the binary data with "opost" (output postprocessing) turned
on.  The result was corrupted printouts.

To find out what the appropriate line is, you might do a web search on
"stty -opost" and "Solaris" and "printing"; that is how I found it
originally.

Hope that helps.

  - Logan

1. Printing from AUC-TeX and Gnu emacs using Solaris' SunSoft Print Client

Is anyone using AUC-TeX with Gnu emacs on a Sun running Solaris
with the SunSoft Print Client for printing?  We have a problem
with printing from AUC-TeX in this environment.  The print job
will spool in the directory /var/spool/print but the printer daemon
dies before the file are forward to the printer.  The print job
remains stuck in the print queue.  AUC-TeX uses the emacs' start_process
routine to submit the print job.

If anyone has a fix or suggestions please send email.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

2. Howto do Stop-a on E30000 vi WinNT Hyperterminal

3. Solaris 2.5 - Using another print queue

4. Dedicated FTP server distro

5. Printing Postscript files in Solaris 2.5 x86

6. Matrox(non-accelerated) and Linux

7. Parallel printing postscript files with Sparc Solaris 2.5

8. tty_dev in srm gets reset

9. Can software compiled for Solaris 2.5 be used in Solaris 2.6?

10. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

11. Solaris 2.5 system file table and file lock info for alerting on thresholds

12. Need help matching stale NFS file handle to a file, Solaris 2.5

13. AUC-TeX Emacs package added to SLS TeX files