sun4u/4m load on one media?

Post by Robert Si » Tue, 01 Jul 1997 04:00:00

In the old days of SunOS, life was simple and we could have
multiplatform support across one load of SunOS.  All we'd
hafta change was the bootblock, possibly kernel and
link between 4m/4c in the usr/kvm dir.

Now life seems a little more difficult.

Has anyone pioneered this any, and have any advice and most
importantly, can it be done?
--

Robert Sink - Asst. Dept. Head - Computer/Network Services
Chesapeake Biological Laboratory - Solomons, MD.

sun4u/4m load on one media?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>In the old days of SunOS, life was simple and we could have
>multiplatform support across one load of SunOS.  All we'd
>hafta change was the bootblock, possibly kernel and
>link between 4m/4c in the usr/kvm dir.
>Now life seems a little more difficult.

Startin with Solaris 2.5, the various platform support no longer
installs in the same location so you could have them all
on one disk, just install all of SUNWkvm.* etc.

Then there's a slight problem of devices and bootblocks.

For a new install, you need to clean /etc/path_to_inst and change
the bootblock and rebuild the devices.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Printing to HP LaserJet 4M and 4M+

Howdy.

I'm interested in any experiences you might have had with printing to a
LaserJet 4M printer (serial connection) and/or a LaserJet 4M+ with a
JetDirect card (ethernet connection).

We currently keep a small, cowering, weak SunOS machine alive for the sole
purpose of allowing us to print to these two printers.

HP tech support was clueless (the person I spoke to asked "What's
FreeBSD?") and the text explaining Filters on the official FreeBSD page
was not designed for the average idiot (eg, me).

What I'm really interested in is a gander and your /etc/printcap, as well
as the filters you're using to Make It Go.

Our needs include printing regular text as well as PostScript files.
Anything else (printing .gifs directly, etc.) would be nice, but is not
necessary.

Thanks for your time.

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator

2. problem in UUCP setup on TCP/IP ethernet

3. Which drive to load first or which comes first the chicken or the egg!

4. "who" can't find utmp.

5. solaris 10 jumpstart "can't load medium (/cdrom)"

6. Inode errors on Conner 1060S/Adaptec 1542CF-HELP

7. Linux, Media One, Security Issues, and Can They Do This?

8. cp: /mnt/vmlinuz no such files or directories

9. Media One Road Runner in Atlanta

10. Redhat, Linux, Media One, Security and Can They Do This?

11. flash media reader/writer , which one works with Linux

12. flash media reader support , will this one work?

13. Linux, Media One, Security and Can They Do This?