Help.... cpio restore and installboot

Post by mpar » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I am having trouble with getting my backup disk to boot. I used cpio to
write to the backup disk. The original disk was 18 gigs and the backup
is 9gigs.

I removed the original 18gig disk from a SunE250 and placed it in a
different system. When the other system came up I mounted the original
disk(18 gig) and used cpio to archive the entire disk. Then I mounted my

backup disk(9 gig) and did a restore to it. I then ran installboot

intallboot /platform/SUNW,Ultra-250/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
/dev/rdsk/c3t3d0s0

and now cannot boot off the backup disk.

any insight, anyone?

Thanks,
-- mp
Montreal, Quebec

Help.... cpio restore and installboot

Post by mpac.. » Tue, 04 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Did you specify the necessary settings in the PROM to boot?

> I am having trouble with getting my backup disk to boot. I used cpio
> write to the backup disk. The original disk was 18 gigs and the backup
> is 9gigs.

> I removed the original 18gig disk from a SunE250 and placed it in a
> different system. When the other system came up I mounted the original
> disk(18 gig) and used cpio to archive the entire disk. Then I mounted
my

> backup disk(9 gig) and did a restore to it. I then ran installboot

> intallboot /platform/SUNW,Ultra-250/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
> /dev/rdsk/c3t3d0s0

> and now cannot boot off the backup disk.

> any insight, anyone?

> Thanks,
> -- mp
> Montreal, Quebec

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help.... cpio restore and installboot

Post by Marc Par » Thu, 06 Apr 2000 04:00:00

how so?

> Did you specify the necessary settings in the PROM to boot?

> > I am having trouble with getting my backup disk to boot. I used cpio
> > write to the backup disk. The original disk was 18 gigs and the backup
> > is 9gigs.

> > I removed the original 18gig disk from a SunE250 and placed it in a
> > different system. When the other system came up I mounted the original
> > disk(18 gig) and used cpio to archive the entire disk. Then I mounted
> my

> > backup disk(9 gig) and did a restore to it. I then ran installboot

> > intallboot /platform/SUNW,Ultra-250/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
> > /dev/rdsk/c3t3d0s0

> > and now cannot boot off the backup disk.

> > any insight, anyone?

> > Thanks,
> > -- mp
> > Montreal, Quebec

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Restoring boot block using installboot

Hi,

Following a complete system restore from ufs dump files I am having
problems making the system (a NetraX1) bootable. With the system booted
off a jumpstart server I issue the following command:

# /usr/sbin/installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 (where uname -i = SUNW,UltraAX-i2)

I do not receive any errors that indicate that this has failed and could
not see any options for verbose output in the man pages. However when I
attempt to boot the system it fails with the following error.

Executing last command: boot
Boot device: disk  File and args:
FCode UFS Reader 1.11 97/07/10 16:19:15.
SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_108528-06 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.

--------------------------------

I have checked the following:

1) My boot-device environment variable is set to 'disk net'
2) All looks ok in /etc/vfstab in terms of mount points mapping to the
correct disk slices. (probably not relevant)
3) /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 ran successfully prior to attempting to recreate
the boot block.

I would be very grateful if anyone can offer any suggestions.

Kind regards

Paul Churchill

2. Sending MX mail via Solaris 2.1

3. Help - can't restore a folder with tar -xp or cpio -im!

4. Best supported fast video card

5. Need help with command syntax for performing a remote cpio restore

6. Kernel Panic

7. Help needed on restoring files from cpio backups, SCO 3.2

8. PPP woes

9. HELP ON CPIO RESTORE.

10. cpio restore and owner of directories

11. tar and cpio restore

12. CPIO restore to a different directory ? - Solaris 2.3

13. restore from cpio