Screwed up tar tape

Post by Tom Burk » Sat, 06 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hey there...

We have a problem, here in that a professor backed up something on top of a tape that was a
backup of something he wanted to keep, & this is the only place for it...

We don't believe that he overwrote very much of the tape, maybe just the first couple of
blocks...  We want to try to recover as much as possible of the tar file which was overwritten by
the new tar file...  Obviously, we can't recover what was overwritten, but maybe we can recover
the rest.   Does anyone know how to do this, or of a utility for doing this kind of thing?  Any
help would be appreciated..

Thank you,

        Tom Burke
        Dept. of Electrical Engineering
        Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
        Carbondale, IL 62901

1. Multi tapes with tar/Tar tape length

        Is it possible to write a large archive to multiple tapes using
tar??  I assumed that it is after reading the man page.  It says that I
can specify the length of tape I want to use with the -L option.  If so,
what size to I use for a DC2120 QIC tape??

--
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
#include <standard.disclaimer>

        -Linux, choice of a GNU generation.
        -This is your computer on DOS ...
                                                Mike dunn

        Check me out at http://wwwpub.utdallas.edu/~dunn4614

2. Help needed with Goldstar CD-ROM

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. Samba and IPTables

5. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

6. Chat program

7. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar & mt ???

8. mouse not detected

9. tar file size limit and tar to tape

10. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

11. Lone-Tar / Tar / Tape backup problems

12. SCSI tape & tar: seems the tape got shorter???

13. Tape to tape copy, original in tar