SunVideo on Sparc 10/20

Post by Scott Mich » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I've ran into a unique problem: I'm working on a project that is using
an ancient Sparc 10 (only two years old, 2 x 50 Mhz processors, 32 MB RAM)
where we'd like to use a SunVideo board to do some mcast over ATM testing.
(And don't ask me which ATM boards and switches we're using; we're
definitely seeing the FOREfront of device driver spooge.)

The problem: Have a SunVideo board and camera in a Sparc 20. The Sparc 20

'vic' mcast application, I get really nice pictures of my office. Take
the same board and put it into the Sparc 10, and it identifies the device

I spent the morning surfing and I know that vfc is the older VideoPix
board; drivers are provisionally available from Sun. It's the same board
being identified differently in different machines. I tried to fool
Solaris 2.5.1 into thinking that this board was in fact a RTVC
board in the /etc/driver_aliases file, but that didn't exactly work.
(RTVC couldn't map regset 1.)

Does anyone have a really neat workaround, or does this require updated
PROMS, or what does a nifty solution entail?

-scottm
--
Scott Michel
UCLA Computer Science                   Engineer, Dessert Toppings/Floor Waxes

"AND STOP CALLING ME Scooter!" :-)

1. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

New to the group, so please be easy on me.

Here's my question:

Is there a performance difference between a 5, 10, or 20?  During a
recent exercise we conducted, that users were complaining about their
clients being too slow.  They asked to be upgraded to a Sparc 20 to
alleviate their woes.  Walking around doing a dmesg grep -i cpu, we
found that the 5's or 10's actually had a faster processor than the
20's.  Sometimes the RAM was higher on the 20's, sometimes not.   Is
there some sort of performance rating on different models published
somewhere?  Or is it dependent on the architecture of the box itself?
My suggestion was to walk around and pencil in an extra 0 on the case
so they'd think they had a higher model !  Customer service!!

If this is too vague, please let me know and I'll try to be as
specific as I can without compromising security.

Boz
(no certifications as of yet)

2. rss and vsz for 64-bit application from 32-bit program

3. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

4. Partition editor says: "Can't create partition. Too big?"

5. question about memory on SPARC 10 and 20

6. EZWGL ftp site

7. sparc 2, 5, 10 and 20 cases

8. ISDN with Linux

9. I'm looking to buy used sparc 10/20, anyone selling

10. Sparc 10 or 20

11. Is there a MUNIX for sparc 10's&20's ??

12. sparc 5, 10, 20 - what do these numbers mean?