Configuring router in 2.6 x86

Post by Michel Poirie » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I setup a Solaris 2.6 x86 box at the office and I have the following
problem:

I can't get pass our router. I created the file defaultrouter with the
router IP address (9.29.96.1), but it seems something else is missing. We'Re
using DNS, not NIS or NIS+.

Can someone help ??

Michel Poirier
IBM Canada Ltd
Montreal HelpCentre

Configuring router in 2.6 x86

Post by John Kotche » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Greetings, fellow IBMer.

Quote:> I setup a Solaris 2.6 x86 box at the office and I have the following
> problem:

> I can't get pass our router. I created the file defaultrouter with the
> router IP address (9.29.96.1), but it seems something else is missing.

If you haven't rebooted the machine since you added the file
/etc/defaultrouter, you have to add the default route into the
route tables with this command:

route add default 9.29.96.1 1  [or however many hops it is to your
default route]

You can check this with netstat -rn.

Quote:> We'Re using DNS, not NIS or NIS+.

Next,  make sure you have created /etc/resolv.conf  [which contains
domain, nameserver and search info]

Sorry, I don't know where they want you to point nameservice to
in your area.......  You could always swipe the info (or even the
file itself) from an AIX machine that is doing DNS resolves correctly.

Then, edit /etc/nsswitch.conf so that the entry "hosts" is
"files dns" or "dns files" depending on whether you want to resolve
to /etc/hosts first or last.

Quote:> Can someone help ??

If you're still stuck, you can look for me in callup, and reach me at
my alternate phone number this weekend.

> Michel Poirier
> IBM Canada Ltd
> Montreal HelpCentre

* A goofy Unix and network administration type person      *
* working for a large computer equipment manufacturer and  *
* internet services provider.  Opinions expressed are      *
* those of the writer on good days -- On bad days they're  *
* just ramblings. They AREN'T the opinion of my employer.  *