dp-3.1.2 & Solaris2.4(x86)

Post by Boris Prochaz » Wed, 30 Nov 1994 23:38:13

I have been playing with PPP-packages on Solaris-2.4x86. And sadly
enough not been very succesfull.

Bundled PPP on Sol2.4(x86) just disonnects with lowering DTR. (Rumor
say the Engineer has quited on SUN.)
DP-3.1.2 runns into problem with memmory allocation, "malloc()",
(Some rumours say memory handling is poor in 2.4).

If somebody suceeded in building dp-3.1.2 on this platform,(that
wondefull :-) somebody ) could I ask to uuencode the binaries&libs
and send them over.
                                Hopfull,
                                        Ivan P.

1. dp-3.1.2 / Solaris 2.3 config

First off, I need to apologize for being such a clueless newbie when it
comes to PPP.

SITUATION: I have a SPARC laptop with Solaris 2.3 and DP-3.1.2.  I have
gotten it to compile and I am struggling with the configuration.

My laptop has it's own IP address and it is known on the NIS network at
work.  I would like to use my laptop, via PPP, to dial in and access
more than just text-based apps.

I have the modem config set up correctly, because 'tip' works well.  I
can dial in at an effective baud rate of 38400.

The modem pool at work (Telebit Trailblazer with 24 nodes) gives a menu
after login and passwd verification which asks if you want to do a SLIP,
PPP, telnet, rlogin, etc connection.  I am not worried about that part,
because I'll hash out the 'chat script' once I get the modem to dial.

My problem is that I don't understand how dp-3.1.2 works.  If I tip into
the modem pool and select PPP packets start to come across.  I don't see
how running another shell and executing 'ppp' will work.  I still have a
shell spitting packets.

My dp log file says the daemon is running OK.  I have NO idea how to
force the modem to "dial-on-demand" to start the ppp hookup.  The docs
on dp are somewhat sparse and my TCP/IP handbook is sparser.

When I am at work, I plug in and the net knows my machine's IP.  When
I'm remote I'm supposed to use one of the modem pool's IP addresses?

What do I do?  Route command?  ppp command?  Can someone provide some
examples of their various config file?  I could end up being any of 24 IP
addresses - I don't see a dynamic IP address allocation option for the
remote end...  CONFUSED.  ANY help is MOST appreciated!  Pointing me
toward a FAQ or another help group is appreciated!

+------------------------+-----------------------------------+     /mmm\
| Jason C. Davis / EDS   | Client Server Technology Services |     (. .)
| 750 Tower Dr.  MS 3234 | CSTS - EDS Sun Support Center     |       u

| (810)265-8015    8/365 | profs: PC4X400(JDAVIS02)          |  oOOo   oOOo
+------------------------+-----------------------------------+ #############

2. "Userfriendly" Unix Shell

3. dp-3.1.2

4. Kernel 2.0.0 goes on "find spree" at will

5. DP-3.1.2 binaries for Solaris 2.3?

6. Dead child, Linux 1.2.8

7. dp-3.1.2 and Solaris 2.3 (can't make it work)

8. Where to get GNOME desktop background wallpaper ?

9. DP-3.1.2 binaries for Solaris 2.3?

10. dp-3.0 & gcc-2.6.3 : /opt/dp/bin/ppp dumps core

11. Help dp-3.0 on Solaris x86

12. DialupPPP dp-3.1 for x86?

13. Ingres 1.2 on solaris2.5 SPARC10 netutil problems