CD-R (S/W) recommendations?

Post by Neil Bir » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

  I'm currently using an old Philips drive with GEAR. The drive's starting
to play up, and I've never been exactly impressed with the text-only GEAR
S/W.

  I've been recommended Plextor as a CD-R make, but does anyone out there
any recommendations for the S/W? It doesn't have to be a free one, 'cos
I've got some budget to ensure it's a "full-on" decent package.

  Or maybe we should go CD-RW??

Please replace 'rrds.nspam' with 'rrds.co.uk' to reply.
--
========================- http://www.rrds.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 240 days remaining

CD-R (S/W) recommendations?

Post by Glen Wile » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

:   I'm currently using an old Philips drive with GEAR. The drive's starting
: to play up, and I've never been exactly impressed with the text-only GEAR
: S/W.

:   I've been recommended Plextor as a CD-R make, but does anyone out there
: any recommendations for the S/W? It doesn't have to be a free one, 'cos
: I've got some budget to ensure it's a "full-on" decent package.

:   Or maybe we should go CD-RW??

I have been very pleased with my PlexWriter and cd-record.  The software
is rediculously easy to work with (although you MUST read the README)
and I find it more pleasant than GEAR.  It is nice to use the free SW
and have the budget $$ for other goodies.

--

Senior Software Engineer       http://www.wwa.com/~gwiley/glen
3Com - Carrier Systems R&D

"UNIX _IS_ user friendly, its just picky about who its friends are."

Any statements or opinions expressed by me are mine exclusively
and have nothing whatsoever to do with my employer...

CD-R (S/W) recommendations?

Post by Robert S. Campbe » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

:   I'm currently using an old Philips drive with GEAR.

We have a name for our pain, and that name is GEAR. (I've used it before,
too)

:   I've been recommended Plextor as a CD-R make, but does anyone out there
: any recommendations for the S/W? It doesn't have to be a free one, 'cos
: I've got some budget to ensure it's a "full-on" decent package.

To followup the previous post that mentioned cd-record, here are some
links:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/p...
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/
http://www.ping.de/sites/daneb/cdrdao.html
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/cdb/cdb.html

Haven't used any of the above yet, though.

--
Bob Campbell                    Unix System Administrator
Scientific Computing Division   National Center for Atmospheric Research

CD-R (S/W) recommendations?

Post by Neil Bir » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have been very pleased with my PlexWriter and cd-record.  The software
> is rediculously easy to work with (although you MUST read the README)
> and I find it more pleasant than GEAR.  It is nice to use the free SW
> and have the budget $$ for other goodies.

  Hmm. I've had these a while but not yet read through the manuals fully.
Having another look, mkisofs & cdrecord seem primarily oriented towards
snapshotting a whole dir., but the stuff I'll need to write will come from
several places, and I don't want to have to copy everything into one place
just to please mkisofs.

  Plus, it seems as if adding sessions to existing CDs is going to be much
trickier than on GEAR.

  Is there a (non GEAR) 'proper' CD Writer S/W pack? Or am I missing the
options in mkisofs/cdrecord?

Please replace 'rdel.nspam' with 'rdel.co.uk' to reply.
--
========================- http://www.rdel.co.uk/ -======================
 Neil Bird                   |   This is who we are     The time is near
                             |        There are 239 days remaining

CD-R (S/W) recommendations?

Post by Glen Wile » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

<snip>

:   Hmm. I've had these a while but not yet read through the manuals fully.
: Having another look, mkisofs & cdrecord seem primarily oriented towards
: snapshotting a whole dir., but the stuff I'll need to write will come from
: several places, and I don't want to have to copy everything into one place
: just to please mkisofs.

:   Plus, it seems as if adding sessions to existing CDs is going to be much
: trickier than on GEAR.

:   Is there a (non GEAR) 'proper' CD Writer S/W pack? Or am I missing the
: options in mkisofs/cdrecord?

mkisofs supports "merging" filesystems, once you get the fs in its
desired state cdrecord writes it.  cdrecord and mkisofs work together
for multi-session recording, however I have not tried it.

for the most common burning operations these two tools are great, if
you have time it would probably be worth expirimenting a little and
if it turns out that you can't get it to work then plunk out the
cash

--

Post by Joerg Schilli » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

>> I have been very pleased with my PlexWriter and cd-record.  The software
>> is rediculously easy to work with (although you MUST read the README)
>> and I find it more pleasant than GEAR.  It is nice to use the free SW
>> and have the budget $$ for other goodies.

>  Hmm. I've had these a while but not yet read through the manuals fully.
>Having another look, mkisofs & cdrecord seem primarily oriented towards
>snapshotting a whole dir., but the stuff I'll need to write will come from
>several places, and I don't want to have to copy everything into one place
>just to please mkisofs.

>  Plus, it seems as if adding sessions to existing CDs is going to be much
>trickier than on GEAR.

Creating multi-session disks with mkisofs/cdrecord is quite simple.

Read:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/p...

--

1. recommendation for CD-R?

Are you successfully using the mkisofs/cdwrite combination to write
CD-ROMs with your linux system?  Are you willing to tell me which
SCSI controller and CD-R you are using?  I need to set up a low-cost
facility to write occasional CD-ROMs, and would prefer to "copy" a
controller/recorder combination that is known to work.  Replies by
e-mail, please.

Thanks in advance!!
Michael Cain
U S WEST Technologies
Boulder, CO, USA

2. traceroute from VJtr package - ok to setuid root?

3. Recommendation for a CD-R for a B50 running AIX 5.1???

4. Junker Boxes and Learning Linux

5. recommendation scsi CD-R drive and accompanying scsi controller

6. tlQ: where is arch for linux?

7. SCSI CD-rw and cd-rom recommendation

8. Need help about floppy driver!

9. cd-r recommendations?

10. DAT/CD-R recommendations ?

11. Need recommendations for cd-r writers (Solaris & Linux)

12. duplicating an iso9660 cd (cd-r -> file -> cd-r)

13. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive