can't telnet & ftp

Post by kickbir » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 02:51:44

Could anyone help me on this one.
I have a Solaris2.6 box, but I can 't telnet & ftp to this box (time out
error), how can i check the ftp & telnet server under normal operation ?

regards,
ken

can't telnet & ftp

Post by Tim For » Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:58:51

Ken,

Check to see if the services are enabled.  It almost sounds like they aren't
enaled.
Make sure they aren't commented out.  If they are uncomment them and reboot
the workstation.  That should take care of it.

Tim

Quote:> Could anyone help me on this one.
> I have a Solaris2.6 box, but I can 't telnet & ftp to this box (time out
> error), how can i check the ftp & telnet server under normal operation ?

> regards,
> ken

can't telnet & ftp

Post by Richard Dah » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 11:13:09

Try to ftp or telnet to localhost, this will show you if the services have
problems or if it is a network issue.  Also make sure networking works.  You
can ping the interface and the default gateway (if one exists) and the
remote machine.  Also, someone else suggested checking to see if the FTP and
Telnet daemons are configured to run by inetd.  The file to check is
/etc/inetd.conf , if the services are not commented out make sure that
/etc/services has the appropriate port mappings (FTP TCP/21 and Telnet
TCP/23) and make sure that inetd is running, instead of rebooting you can
always restart inetd by issuing a kill -HUP to the inetd process.   use
"ps -ef |grep inetd"  to find the process id.
-richard

Quote:> Could anyone help me on this one.
> I have a Solaris2.6 box, but I can 't telnet & ftp to this box (time out
> error), how can i check the ftp & telnet server under normal operation ?

> regards,
> ken

can't telnet & ftp

Post by kickbir » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 00:43:02

hi richard,

Thank for your help.
i follow your advise and the result as follow :

i) i can ftp & telnet to localhost, everything is ok.
ii) i can telnet to this Solaris2.6 box from other client PC. everything is
ok.
iii) but i can't ftp to this Solaris2.6 box from other client PC. (timeout)

Does anyone know why ?

kickbird

> Try to ftp or telnet to localhost, this will show you if the services have
> problems or if it is a network issue.  Also make sure networking works.
You
> can ping the interface and the default gateway (if one exists) and the
> remote machine.  Also, someone else suggested checking to see if the FTP
and
> Telnet daemons are configured to run by inetd.  The file to check is
> /etc/inetd.conf , if the services are not commented out make sure that
> /etc/services has the appropriate port mappings (FTP TCP/21 and Telnet
> TCP/23) and make sure that inetd is running, instead of rebooting you can
> always restart inetd by issuing a kill -HUP to the inetd process.   use
> "ps -ef |grep inetd"  to find the process id.
> -richard

> > Could anyone help me on this one.
> > I have a Solaris2.6 box, but I can 't telnet & ftp to this box (time out
> > error), how can i check the ftp & telnet server under normal operation ?

> > regards,
> > ken

1. IP Masq - Ping & Telnet ok, but HTTP & FTP don't work

Hi All,

I have a strange problem with using IP Masq.  The
Linux box (Slackware 7) is set up as a gateway to
a DSL connection.  I've gone over (and over) the
howto's/FAQ's, and the setup appears fine, but
the problem persists...

I can ping and telnet to the world from all the
Masq'd computers, but can't get to any web or ftp
sites, not even when sitting at the gateway
machine using lynx.

From all the testing/FAQ's I've read, it seems
that if ping and telnet work, so should http &
ftp.  Is that correct?  If so, then it doesn't
matter what modules I have loaded, right?

Is there a separate module for http?

I'm using ipfwadm rather than ipchains, because I
didn't realize at the time that ipchains is the
way to go for kernel 2.2.x.  I'll change that
tonight, but I don't see why that would matter.

Anyway, this is my first attempt at setting up a
gateway like this, so it quite possible that I'm
missing something really silly.

If any of you can get me pointed in the right
direction, I'd really appreciate it!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. How to check free disk space available

3. On a Linux router, ftp& telnet works but ping doesn't work .

4. Shared memory question

5. Users can's telnet & ftp but root can - Why

6. minicom problem, will not load

7. telnet & samba work, but ftp doesn't

8. xemacs - "no ExtNode to pop"?

9. Users can's telnet & ftp but root can - Why

10. 'telnet' and 'ftp' in RH71?

11. ftp/telnet open processes lagging ftp/telnet startup

12. It's not bad canned meat...