DLT8000 on Solaris 7

Post by Fritz Wittwe » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I have an ADIC FastStore 7 Library with a Quantum DLT 8000 installed on
an Ultra 10. I use
Solstice Backup 5.1.1 to make Backups.

I am not able to read from the tapes, I always get errors as soon as
backup tries to locate a record inside a file on the tape.

/usr/sbin/nsr/tapeexercise fails as well.

I have now added the following entry at the end of  /kernel/drv/st.conf:

tape-config-list=
"QUANTUM DLT8000",      "Quantum DLT8000", "DLT8k";
DLT8k =         1,0x38,0,0x8639,4,0x84,0x85,0x88,0x89,3;

Afterwards I did a 'drvconfig' and a 'tapes', but this changes nothing.

Do I really need a boot -r, or is just my entry or something else wrong?

Fritz

DLT8000 on Solaris 7

Post by Larry Lindstro » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I have an ADIC FastStore 7 Library with a Quantum DLT 8000 installed on
> an Ultra 10. I use
> Solstice Backup 5.1.1 to make Backups.

> I am not able to read from the tapes, I always get errors as soon as
> backup tries to locate a record inside a file on the tape.

   My system is Solaris 7/Intel.

   I use a slightly modified version of Andrew Gabriel's
backup and recovery scripts for my DDS1 and now DDS4 DATs.

   My client has a couple of these DLT monsters, from HP.
I've done full system backup and recoveries with no changes
to the script.

   I haven't done selective recoveries on the DLTs, so
perhaps I haven't tested the problem you're having.

   Considering price/performance/capacity, I would have
trouble justifying a DLT over a DDS4 DAT.  Perhaps I'm
missing something.

                                                 Larry

DLT8000 on Solaris 7

Post by andrew-usenet-s.. » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I have an ADIC FastStore 7 Library with a Quantum DLT 8000 installed on
> an Ultra 10. I use
> Solstice Backup 5.1.1 to make Backups.
> I am not able to read from the tapes, I always get errors as soon as
> backup tries to locate a record inside a file on the tape.
> /usr/sbin/nsr/tapeexercise fails as well.
> I have now added the following entry at the end of  /kernel/drv/st.conf:
> tape-config-list=
> "QUANTUM DLT8000",      "Quantum DLT8000", "DLT8k";
> DLT8k =         1,0x38,0,0x8639,4,0x84,0x85,0x88,0x89,3;
> Afterwards I did a 'drvconfig' and a 'tapes', but this changes nothing.
> Do I really need a boot -r, or is just my entry or something else wrong?

/usr/sbin/drvconfig;/usr/sbin/tapes;/usr/sbin/devlinks;/usr/ucb/ucblinks
should perform what a boot -r will do for you.

What are the specific errors you are getting when you write data?  SCSI
or Tape Read/Write errors?

Check /etc/LGTOuscsi/lrescan;/etc/LGTOuscsi/inquire after you rebuild
your device links to see if Legato/Solstice can see your hardware (not
sure if these tools are included with Sun's OEM'ed Solstice).

Hope this helps,

-Andrew

--
Andrew P. Gibbons

      Remove the latter two keywords from my address to email me

DLT8000 on Solaris 7

Post by Fred Tr » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> tape-config-list=
>> "QUANTUM DLT8000",      "Quantum DLT8000", "DLT8k";
>> DLT8k =         1,0x38,0,0x8639,4,0x84,0x85,0x88,0x89,3;

>> Afterwards I did a 'drvconfig' and a 'tapes', but this changes nothing.

>> Do I really need a boot -r, or is just my entry or something else wrong?

>/usr/sbin/drvconfig;/usr/sbin/tapes;/usr/sbin/devlinks;/usr/ucb/ucblinks
>should perform what a boot -r will do for you.

Actually no - if you modified the st.conf file, the changes will not take effect
until the st kernel driver is unloaded and reloaded.  You can do this via a
reboot, or you can modunload the st driver (provided no tapes are active and
no other processes are using the driver) and then modload it back.

If you still have problems then perhaps it is a tape drive error, or the
settings above are not right (I don't have a DLT8000 to confirm).

1. Netbackup and streaming DLT8000

Question about backups. We have a workgroup with a 100/10Mbps LAN. The
backups will be done over this same network to a central backup host
that will have a DLT8000 tape library attached. I am considering
getting evaluation copy of Veritas Netbackup to test it out. One of
the things that concerns me is that, most of the time, the data almost
likely will be coming at a slower rate than this tape drives specified
transfer rate (6MB/second native) which might stress this relatively
fast tape drive. I have read on Veritas web site that Netbackup can
buffer data before writing it on tape using shared memory. Would it
perform well in this kind of environment? The backup server will
likely have 2GB of RAM, so dedicating plenty of RAM to shared memory
isn't a problem as long Netbackup could make a good use of it.

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.

2. SunForum question...

3. hp surestore dlt818 (dlt8000)

4. The Perfect Christmas Gift 4630

5. DLT8000(Fast store 7) +using the picker

6. open source esrlogin clone...

7. irq conflict

8. dlt8000 showing 100% busy, but unresponsive

9. Legato 5.5.1 (5.5.4 patched) and DLT8000

10. DLT8000(faststore7) + using the picker

11. ufsdump to Quantum DLT8000 tape drive

12. DLT8000