Solaris 9 or Solrais 10

Post by Daniel Seichte » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:01:06

Hello,

I am using a Blade 1500 with 1GHz and 1GB RAM. WHich is the better
performed OS? Solaris 10 3/05 or Solaris 9 4/04? Is there a new version of
Solaris 9?

Thanks

Daniel Seichter

Solaris 9 or Solrais 10

Post by Josip Graci » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:44:57

> performed OS? Solaris 10 3/05 or Solaris 9 4/04? Is there a new version of
> Solaris 9?

Yes, it's called Solaris 10. :-)  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Just go for Solaris 10, no reason to install Solaris 9 or any older
version.

Solaris 9 or Solrais 10

Post by Andy » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:48:19

Solaris 9 09/04 was the last full version of Solaris 9. There are fixes
available after this.

It depends on what you are supporting i.e. legacy apps? Old versions of
Oracle. If you are starting from scratch and want to learn, you may as well
start with Solaris 10 as this does things slightly differently in some areas
than Solaris 9 so you may as well start off with the latest O/S rather than
learning something then having to forget it.

Andy

Quote:> Hello,

> I am using a Blade 1500 with 1GHz and 1GB RAM. WHich is the better
> performed OS? Solaris 10 3/05 or Solaris 9 4/04? Is there a new version of
> Solaris 9?

> Thanks

> Daniel Seichter

Solaris 9 or Solrais 10

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 22 Jul 2005 23:38:18

> I am using a Blade 1500 with 1GHz and 1GB RAM. WHich is the better
> performed OS? Solaris 10 3/05 or Solaris 9 4/04? Is there a new version of
> Solaris 9?

Solaris 10.

The 9/04 release was the last version of Solaris 9.

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. Jumpstart solaris 10 b69 and solaris 10 b72 on an Ultra 30

I am trying to jumpstart a Sun Ultra 30 using Solaris 10 b69
(b72 gives the same results) from a Linux jumpstart server.

I have scripts for all this (soon to be release opensource!) but
..although I can get b55, beta5(b60) and b63  and b55 to work
b63 and b72 do not work!

since this is an Ultra 30 I went to

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Boot_PROM/BootPROM_Sun4u...
and ran Patch 105930-06 with no problems.

Even now it does not boot.

- bpgetfile shows all parameters can be retreived ok.
- nfs mounts all work
- pfinstall shows the profile is ok
- I've checked the rules file and it is fine.
- The /tftpboot directory is setup correctly with the right inetboot file.

reset
boot net - install
I can see the tftp transfer clock up ok to 38600
The linux server shows the correct mount of the root= directory.

Normally the kernel banner should appear next but instead I get
loads of messages

not found: vmem_create
not found: vmem_alloc
not found: cv_signal
not found: wake_sched_sec
not found: physmax
not found: putreg
not found: fp_precise
not found: ddi_prop_lookup_init_array
not found: sema_v
not found: traceregs
not found: psignal
not found: strcmp
not found: fop_putpage
not found: strcmp
not found: global_zone
not found: fastscan

etc.. and eventually

krtld:error during initial load/link phase
panic - boot:exitto64 returned from client program

and I'm back at the ok prompt

1. From the book "Solaris Internals: Core Kernel Architecture" using

/usr/ccs/bin/dump -Lv /platform/sun4u/kernel/sparcv9/unix

mentions the line NEEDED..dtracestubs

but I cannot find dtracestubs under that /platform directory.
Is this a problem?

2. nm on things seems to indicate the missing symbols are in genunix
but I'm not sure how to debug what is going on??

3. eeprom | grep boot-file give
boot-file: data not available so I assume a 64-bit boot should occur.

On the net I've seen add set moddebug to /etc/system but the
Solaris Internals boot indicates that /etc/system is read AFTER
krtld does an inital link.

I'm totally stumped why this will not work...Any ideas?

2. i386 pgd_index() doesn't parenthesize its arg

3. Live upgrade failure: Solaris 10 -> Solaris 10 update 1.

4. ppp compression

5. lsof 4.70D for Solaris 10 [was Re: Lsof on Solaris 10 x86?]

6. check pop3 accout

7. Solaris 10 -- Where to get gcc (or other compiler) built on Solaris 10?

8. Anyone AS/400 aware?? Please answer simple question

9. L 10 10 10 10...

10. Oracle 10 (RAC) & Solaris 10 & Sun Cluster 3

11. Ultra-10 / SUN Pengiun / Solaris 10

12. fwbuilder 2.0.10 for solaris 10 available

13. Sleepy Ultra 10/Solaris 10 box