Q: Can an IPX go headless

Post by David Swe » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I attempted to get a Sun IPX to start up without a monitor or keyboard.
I had an emulated dumb terminal on the a port.
I could watch the boot process from the dumb terminal but it would invarible
  stop booting after the memory check and the kernel was found.
I messed with the eeprom's input, output and compatible-monitor variables
  to no avail.

Q: Can an IPX go headless

Post by Alvin Sylvai » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I attempted to get a Sun IPX to start up without a monitor or keyboard.
> I had an emulated dumb terminal on the a port.
> I could watch the boot process from the dumb terminal but it would invarible
>   stop booting after the memory check and the kernel was found.
> I messed with the eeprom's input, output and compatible-monitor variables
>   to no avail.

I'm not 100% sure, but I =believe= the IPX =requires= a keyboard.
You can do without a monitor.  In fact, we have yanked monitors
out and in and out of running machines with no problems.

In fact, I recall seeing an ad somewhere for a little do-hickey
that you could plug into the keyboard port that =pretended= to
be a keyboard, so you could boot the machine without.

A.

Q: Can an IPX go headless

Post by Luke HOWA » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: I attempted to get a Sun IPX to start up without a monitor or keyboard.
: I had an emulated dumb terminal on the a port.
: I could watch the boot process from the dumb terminal but it would invarible
:   stop booting after the memory check and the kernel was found.
: I messed with the eeprom's input, output and compatible-monitor variables
:   to no avail.

Does anyone know whether this keyboard-requirement is the case with
the IPC?

-- Luke

Q: Can an IPX go headless

->
-
-I'm not 100% sure, but I =believe= the IPX =requires= a keyboard.
-You can do without a monitor.  In fact, we have yanked monitors
-out and in and out of running machines with no problems.

I have an IPX running (and booting Sun OS 4.1.3) with no keyboard.
Just a dumb terminal on ttya.

I have no special tricks or words of wisdom to offer. I hooked up the
terminal and disconnected the keyboard and monitor about a year ago
and it just works.

--

PGP key 1024/B2667EFF - 5A 93 7D 29 EB 63 84 09  EA A2 AA 6C FA C5 A6 21
unstrip for Solaris, MIND LINK crypto archive, TECO, computer security links,

1. Q: Booting an IPX headless

I have seen lots of Sun machines running headless (no monitor)
  where the console is ttya (the a port).
I just tried (and tried) to get an IPX to do it and no matter
  what I did it would hang shortly into the boot process.
--

That is all.

2. How to get vi or vim to interpret Ansi escape sequences

3. Qs on Linux going through a Win9x proxy server

4. TIGER v3.2 available

5. Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

6. Problems with v3.2 ,SCSI disk + mouse

7. Where did IPX on 2.5 go?

8. 2.0.0 Kernel Recompile problem

9. Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!

10. Enlightenment icon box- gone, gone, gone...

11. Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!

12. It's not bad canned meat...