Where is Netscape?

Post by michael champio » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have installed Solaris 7 x86 and, according to the documentation, Netscape
was supposed to be available as of 11/99. The CDE Application manager shows
a Netscape icon, but it does not execute (couldn't find Netscape in path). I
have looked everywhere that I can think of but can't find Netscape anywhere.
Does anyone know if it is contained in a package on the CD-ROM under
S2/Solaris2.7/Products? If it is installed by default, does anyone know
where it is and what is its filename? Thanks in advance.

MLC

Where is Netscape?

Post by john.car.. » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

In 2.6 it is in the CDE. Click on the pop-up tab for the Terminal selection or
right-click on the desktop and select "Web Browser" - not sure about 7 on x86,
however.

Regards...John

> I have installed Solaris 7 x86 and, according to the documentation, Netscape
> was supposed to be available as of 11/99. The CDE Application manager shows
> a Netscape icon, but it does not execute (couldn't find Netscape in path). I
> have looked everywhere that I can think of but can't find Netscape anywhere.
> Does anyone know if it is contained in a package on the CD-ROM under
> S2/Solaris2.7/Products? If it is installed by default, does anyone know
> where it is and what is its filename? Thanks in advance.

> MLC

Where is Netscape?

Post by Chris Kohari » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have installed Solaris 7 x86 and, according to the documentation,
Netscape
> was supposed to be available as of 11/99. The CDE Application manager
shows
> a Netscape icon, but it does not execute (couldn't find Netscape in path).
> have looked everywhere that I can think of but can't find Netscape
anywhere.
> Does anyone know if it is contained in a package on the CD-ROM under
> S2/Solaris2.7/Products? If it is installed by default, does anyone know
> where it is and what is its filename? Thanks in advance.

If you got the "free" distribution of Sol7 then you didn't get the CD with
Netscape on it.

-Chris

Where is Netscape?

Post by michael champio » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> If you got the "free" distribution of Sol7 then you didn't get the CD with
> Netscape on it.

> -Chris

Thanks Chris. That's what I needed to know.

MLC.

Where is Netscape?

Post by SetMeU » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

   If I am not wrong, Netscape is on the extra CD (I have Sparc, Intel and
Extra CD, and a floppy).

Where is Netscape?

Post by Chris Kohari » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>    If I am not wrong, Netscape is on the extra CD (I have Sparc, Intel and
> Extra CD, and a floppy).

I don't have my set handy by I thought the third CD was the extra
documentation only.  Even if it does have Netscape it's an older version and
you should download the latest.

-Chris

1. Am I missing something or does Netscape's NEWS reader suck?

Hi.

I'm trying to run Netscape 1.1N for linux, and have been trying to
like it's news reader.  I'm finding many things impossible to do
that are simple for other news readers, and other things that are
really disturbing, like Netscape reporting

File Not Found!   Could it be out of date?

for a ridiculous number of articles.  My other news reader
(SPRY News on NT) can open and read the VERY SAME articles
Netscape croaked on without any problems whatever.  Has anyone
else encountered this phenomenon?

Also, say I would like to see a list of all newsgroups that contain
the word *linux*.  What I want to see is a list like the following:

aus.computers.linux
comp.os.linux
linux.act.680x0
sfnet.atk.linux
... etc.

How could you do this in Netscape without manually clicking
and expanding every usegroup tree and eyeing it
manually?  Am I missing something?

I would like to be able to use Netscape in Linux for news,
without having to reboot NT and run Spry News.
But Netscape keeps hitting me over the head with
what appears to me to be a mallet of poor design.

Like ... say I want to find all articles in comp.os.linux.misc
that pertain to *SCSI cdrom drives*.  Since Netscape
organizes it's news display PRIMARILY around dates (that
earlier and later stuff), so as to facilitate speedy delivery
of SOMETHING, you cannot easily search the entire
active newsgroup without, AGAIN, manually clicking

earliest articles ... search here for some
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
later articles ... now let's search here for some more
latest articles ... now let's finally search in this group.

I've tried to set my maximum articles at a time to
5000, but I still get an earlier option, and this is how
I became acquainted with the fact the Netscape can't
seem to find and load articles that other readers can
find and load without working up a sweat.

Frankly, I find its news reader pitiful.  What do you
think?  Am I missing something here?  I hope so.

PS.  I've RTFM and I'm still unimpressed.

Thanks for any comments, corrections, animadversions, etc.

Yours, alas, from Spry News in NT,
Mark

2. MULTIPLE DNS HOSTS ON ONE MACHINE

3. Am I the only one having trouble with Netscape???

4. tool for converting manpages to html?

5. Netscape over PPP -- What am I missing?

6. Solaris9-E4500 Oracle 9i interupt problem

7. netscape and freebsd, am I such a nerd?

8. Postgress problems... Please help.

9. Netscape won't work after I am connected to my ISP

10. Boy am I stupid ( Proxies and Netscape)

12. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...