Multi OS version install

Post by Pitung Gatan » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:10:34

Is it possible to install multi OS on the same disk drive? Like if I have a
40GB disk drive in my system, and I would like to install Sol. 9, 8, 7, 6,
in this drive, is it possible? If you can lead me to where the info to
accomplished this task, I trully and greatly appreciate it. Much thanks in
advance.

Multi OS version install

Post by Akop Pogosia » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 15:18:35

>> Is it possible to install multi OS on the same disk drive? Like if I have a
>> 40GB disk drive in my system, and I would like to install Sol. 9, 8, 7, 6,
>> in this drive, is it possible? If you can lead me to where the info to
>> accomplished this task, I trully and greatly appreciate it. Much thanks in
>> advance.
> Probably not on the same disk for Solaris SPARC.  There's no utility to
> allow you to switch between OS versions on SPARC.  You can do it with 1
> disk per each version without a problem.

Yes, this is a utility. It is called open boot prom. Here is how you
can possibly do it. Install different versions of Solaris on the same
disk, but each should use a separate partition(s). You might get away
with using a single swap space partition but I am not sure about it (I
believe under certain circumstances the OS does use the swap to store
data between reboots, so it's better to use separate swap slices for
each OS). Once you have several versions of the OS installed, you can
simply select which OS to boot with command "boot <blah>" where blah
is the abstract path name that refers to the disk and the slice letter
on it from which you're trying to boot. Of course, typing a full
device name is a pain. I would create a device alias with nvalias
command and store it nvram with nvstore.

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.

Multi OS version install

Post by Mike Delane » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 15:42:19

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:49:17 -0700

:
: > Is it possible to install multi OS on the same disk drive? Like if I have a
: > 40GB disk drive in my system, and I would like to install Sol. 9, 8, 7, 6,
: > in this drive, is it possible? If you can lead me to where the info to
: > accomplished this task, I trully and greatly appreciate it. Much thanks in
: > advance.
:
:  Probably not on the same disk for Solaris SPARC.  There's no utility to
:  allow you to switch between OS versions on SPARC.  You can do it with 1
:  disk per each version without a problem.

Sure there is: OpenBoot 2.5 or later allows specifying slices in the
boot device.

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q3.46.html

--

"...Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that fish follow
migrating caribou." "Now I have this image in my mind of a fish embracing and

Multi OS version install

Post by ultraspa.. » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 18:25:02

Quote:>> Is it possible to install multi OS on the same disk drive? Like if I have a
>> 40GB disk drive in my system, and I would like to install Sol. 9, 8, 7, 6,
>> in this drive, is it possible? If you can lead me to where the info to
>> accomplished this task, I trully and greatly appreciate it. Much thanks in
>> advance.

>Probably not on the same disk for Solaris SPARC.  There's no utility to
>allow you to switch between OS versions on SPARC.

there certainly is, it's called OpenBoot.  you can specify the partition
to boot from as a modifier to the device pathname or device alias.
"boot disk:d" would boot from partition "d" (slice 3).

you can use devalias (nvalias) to create friendly names for the
various operating systems:

        nvalias solaris9 disk:d

once those friendly names are set up you can "boot solaris9" instead
of "disk:d".  setting auto-boot?  to false will allow the user to choose
each time the machine is powered on.  otherwise just set boot-device to
the default operating system.

Multi OS version install

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 06:47:29

> Hmmm.  The OP has 4 different versions of Solaris.  That would mean they
> would install a version 1 per slice plus a separate partition for swap
> for a total of 8 slices.  So the partition map would look something like
> slice 0=Solaris 2.6 (8GB)
> slice 1=swap for 2.6 (2GB or whatever)
> slice 2=[entire disk per SUN standard]
> slice 3=Solaris 7 (8GB or whatever)
> slice 4=swap for Solaris 7 (2GB or whatever)
> slice 5=Solaris 8 (8GB or whatever)
> slice 6=swap for Solaris 8 (2GB or whatever)
> slice 7=Solaris 9 (8GB or whatever)
> *** no swap for Solaris 9

The only thing the OS might put in swap between boots would be a core
dump.  Nothing wrong with sharing swap between the OSs.

Quote:> Are there any installation gotcha's?  I think Solaris 8 and 9 don't let
> you select the partition that's used for swap.  They might write over
> slice 0.

Depends on how you do the installation.  The old 'suninstall' is still
available with no problem.

Quote:> This isn't as easy as you make it out to be.  I think there will be much
> pain and suffering involved.

Not really.

1. Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

My question is, taking the latest AIX C++ 6.0 compiled binary on a 5.2
version and running it on an older version AIX OS such n such as 3.2 to a
4.1 version, will there be any complications for that binary to execute? Is
so, can you please give me some examples?

Appreciate any input you can give me.

Thank you,
Jt

2. How do I work CIPE

3. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

4. newbie question: regex

5. Multi-view/multi version fs for UNIX?

6. NFS Message (nfsd_d_validate)

7. UPS Multi system shutdown (multi OS network)

8. Linux defeats buffer overflow vulnerabilities -- NEWSFORGE.com

9. multi-OS install with NetBSD

10. multi-os freebsd + linux install

11. multi-OS install with FreeBSD

12. How to install LILO in a multi-OS setup?

13. Multi boot OS install sequence