tar & mt command. Getting Tar:Unexpected EOF

tar & mt command. Getting Tar:Unexpected EOF

Post by singpg » Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:58:43

Hello,

Am planning to append a backup in a tape (DLT). Am using tar & mt
command and i succeed somehow.I just explain my steps here  & am
getting Tar Unexpected EOF when i read or extract from the device. I
think while reading i used the mt command in wrong way

Daily night i will take the backup (the tape is always avail in Juke
Box).

For example on the first day

#mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind (one time only)
#tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 /data/day1.lst

on Day 2 . Wheni again mount the tape iam using mt command before
appending to the tape
Ex.
#mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsf or should i use mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsf 1 or 2
Then
#tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 /data/day2.lst

so i can able to take the backup no errors.

when i download

#tar tvf /dev/rmt/0
showing day1.lst
#mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsf 1 or should i just use fsf
then #tar tvf /dev/rmt/0
Here am getting Tar:unexpected EOF

sometimes without the using the mt command i can able to read the
day1.lst also.

Please provide ur sugesstion & recommendations
Thanks to spend your time
Regards

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 05:21:50

> Hello,

> Am planning to append a backup in a tape (DLT). Am using tar & mt
> command and i succeed somehow.I just explain my steps here  & am
> getting Tar Unexpected EOF when i read or extract from the device. I
> think while reading i used the mt command in wrong way

> Daily night i will take the backup (the tape is always avail in Juke
> Box).

> For example on the first day

> #mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind (one time only)
> #tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 /data/day1.lst

> on Day 2 . Wheni again mount the tape iam using mt command before
> appending to the tape
> Ex.
> #mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsf or should i use mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsf 1 or 2
> Then
> #tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 /data/day2.lst

> so i can able to take the backup no errors.

> when i download

> #tar tvf /dev/rmt/0
> showing day1.lst
> #mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsf 1 or should i just use fsf
> then #tar tvf /dev/rmt/0
> Here am getting Tar:unexpected EOF

> sometimes without the using the mt command i can able to read the
> day1.lst also.

> Please provide ur sugesstion & recommendations
> Thanks to spend your time
> Regards

please use /dev/rmt/0n
dont overwite your data with /dev/rmt/0