SPARC pcfs

Post by Jeffrey Gealo » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'd like to learn of any improvements to pcfs and removeable SCSI
facilities provided by SPARC Solaris 2.6.  In particular, does
SPARC pcfs now support long files names?  Does SPARC pcfs now
handle disks with FDISK partition tables (DOS formatted Jaz
cartridges)?  Is dev_rmscsi.so included?

Jeff

SPARC pcfs

Post by BRANDON WILLIAM HU » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

: facilities provided by SPARC Solaris 2.6.  In particular, does
: SPARC pcfs now support long files names?  Does SPARC pcfs now

In my experience (after someone from Sun edumacated me :) ), yes.

: handle disks with FDISK partition tables (DOS formatted Jaz

It worked fine with a zipdisk for me.  I'd presume Jaz would behave the
same.

: cartridges)?  Is dev_rmscsi.so included?

I use rmscsi in vold to manage my zipdrive, so I'd say yes.  Vold doesn't
quite understand how to manage DOS disks though, so you have to mount the
disks yourself.  Otherwise, it works fine.

--
|   Brandon Hume aka "Hurricane" - hume at ug.cs.dal.ca & isisnet.com   |
|          "What was your username again?  *Clickity-click*"            |

SPARC pcfs

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>I'd like to learn of any improvements to pcfs and removeable SCSI
>facilities provided by SPARC Solaris 2.6.  In particular, does
>SPARC pcfs now support long files names?  Does SPARC pcfs now
>handle disks with FDISK partition tables (DOS formatted Jaz
>cartridges)?  Is dev_rmscsi.so included?

Yes, it supports long filenames.
Yes, it handles fdisk partitions (pretty sure anyway)
Yes, dev_rmscsi.so is included (but not enabled in vold.conf by default.
be fiction rather than truth.

SPARC pcfs

Post by Dave McClur » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi Brandon,

I am currently looking into installing a ZIP drive (for pcfs exchange)
on a Sparc Ultra 1. I have followed some of the posts that discuss
the FAT/FAT32 and removable SCSI issues. I see that you use the ZIP
drive on Solaris 2.6. I am still running 2.5 for now, but would like
to get the ZIP drive spinning. Any advice in the changes needed for
Solaris 2.5 ??  When you say "mount the disks yourself", do you mean
to execute the volcheck commnad ??

Thanx for any tips/tricks/links or references that you may provide.

Regards,

Dave McClure

> : facilities provided by SPARC Solaris 2.6.  In particular, does
> : SPARC pcfs now support long files names?  Does SPARC pcfs now

> In my experience (after someone from Sun edumacated me :) ), yes.

> : handle disks with FDISK partition tables (DOS formatted Jaz

> It worked fine with a zipdisk for me.  I'd presume Jaz would behave the
> same.

> : cartridges)?  Is dev_rmscsi.so included?

> I use rmscsi in vold to manage my zipdrive, so I'd say yes.  Vold doesn't
> quite understand how to manage DOS disks though, so you have to mount the
> disks yourself.  Otherwise, it works fine.

> --
> |   Brandon Hume aka "Hurricane" - hume at ug.cs.dal.ca & isisnet.com   |
> |          "What was your username again?  *Clickity-click*"            |

     Design Engineer                      phone: (781) 270-4143 x10
     Teratech Corporation                 fax:   (781) 270-4145
     223A Middlesex Turnpike
     Burlington, MA  01803

1. any way to have ufs and pcfs on mobile disk for both sparc/x86?

Can't figure out how to get a (big-endian) ufs filesystem in one
partition and a pcfs in another on a mobile (usb) disk that might
be plugged into either Solaris (SPARC) or x86 (Windows mainly,
Solaris x86 optionally).  I suppose with versions of Solaris and
Windows that could handle the new EFI labelling scheme, it might
be possible; but XP (other than 64-bit XP) can't do EFI labels;
not sure what Solaris rev can either...and updating both to versions
that do EFI isn't really an option.

The only other thing I can think of is two pcfs (or one pcfs and one ntfs)
partitions (fdisk label), with one of them containing a rather large file
with a ufs image; for the ufs, mount the pcfs with that file in it, then
use lofi and mount the resulting /dev/lofi/* file.

The point being to have a disk that was really big, and mainly used for
manual backups for a fixed (SPARC) system as well as a laptop (x86), using
filesystems fully capable of the same attributes, etc that the backed-up
filesystem offered.  Which rules out network based filesystems, since
I doubt any of them are a full superset of either/any of the disk filesystems
to be backed up.  Maybe eventually (once the SPARC and x86 are on Solaris
10, and if I can find a free or very cheap software XP iSCSI initiator), I
might be able to leave the disk connected to the SPARC (with a label that
it liked better) and stuff an fdisk layout within a single Sun partition,
which could be accessed by the x86 box using iSCSI; that would at least
let both systems use the disk's storage with what they thought were native
formats, without moving the disk back and forth.  But that's eventually,
not now, and again, whatever upgrades that would require aren't likely to
happen soon.

Obviously I could use (at least for the ufs) some backup format, whether
ufsdump, tar, cpio, or whatver.  But of those, only ufsdump is really
browseable, and if I have to go to an extra step anyway, the lofi sounds
more like what I want.

But what I really want is to be able to have SPARC be able to figure out
fdisk labels, not just for pcfs mounts (with a :number suffix handled by
the pcfs filesystem), but for arbitrary partitions that could contain a
ufs filesystem or anything else (even zfs eventually, raw data for a dbms,
or whatever).  And I suspect that's just not possible  :-(  but hope I'm
wrong about that.

--

Lasik/PRK theme music:
    "In the Hall of the Mountain King", from "Peer Gynt"

2. lpr works, but not with -p switch

3. PC ATA Cards format with a PCFS format under SPARC Solaris 2.5

4. xdos gives font errors

5. PCMCIA ATA cards with PCFS file systems on Solaris SPARC

6. Slackware 8.1 On A Toshiba T2150CDS

7. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

8. unix stats to pref mon in win 2k

9. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

10. Can find out how to mount a pcfs diskette with solaris 2.5 (feeling pretty dum!)

11. RH5.2, am-utils, how to automount cdrom, pcfs floppy, samba smb volume

12. Problem writing to pcfs drive under wabi (Solaris 2.4x86)

13. PCFS mount(2) in solaris 2.x