RPC Prog not registered NFS mounting error

RPC Prog not registered NFS mounting error

Post by Chris Schmid » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to mount a disk from another machine and I am getting this
error:

nfs mount: king:: RPC: Program not registered
nfs mount: retrying: /user2

It was working, till I rebooted both machines, now it isn't working, but
both machines are working fine.

Chris

RPC Prog not registered NFS mounting error

Post by Chris Schmid » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to mount a disk from another machine and I am getting this
> error:

> nfs mount: king:: RPC: Program not registered
> nfs mount: retrying: /user2

> It was working, till I rebooted both machines, now it isn't working, but
> both machines are working fine.

> Chris

Also, I am wondering how come whenever I do mount -a I am getting not
only that the device is busy, but I am also getting some message about
all mount points have been exceeded.

What is the "stock" number of availible mount points and how do you
change it?

Chris

RPC Prog not registered NFS mounting error

Post by Tony » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Re: RPC Prog not registered NFS mounting error, Chris

Chris> I am trying to mount a disk from another machine and
Chris> I am getting this error:

Chris> nfs mount: king:: RPC: Program not registered nfs
Chris> mount: retrying: /user2

Chris> It was working, till I rebooted both machines, now it
Chris> isn't working, but both machines are working fine.

Errr, off the top of my head:

Is the remote filesystem `share'd by its host machine?
Perhaps it was shared manually but never entered in
/etc/dfs/dfstab...

Is the remote filesystem shared and available to this
machine?

Are the nfs/mount daemons running?

hth,

--
Tony Curtis, Systems Manager             | Tel +43 1 310 93 96
European Centre for Parallel Computing,  | Fax +43 1 310 93 96 13

RPC Prog not registered NFS mounting error

Post by Brian S. Craigie - Unix SA - NEC - Scotla » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> I am trying to mount a disk from another machine and I am getting this
>> error:

>> nfs mount: king:: RPC: Program not registered
>> nfs mount: retrying: /user2

>> It was working, till I rebooted both machines, now it isn't working, but
>> both machines are working fine.

You probably had shared the filesystems using a command line share instead of
adding into the /etc/dfs/dfstab, hence on the reboot, nothing is in dfstab, so
nfs.server doesn't run.

1) add the share commands to /etc/dfs/dfstab
2) shareall
3) /etc/init.d/nfs.server start

Now try mounting on the client.

Quote:

>> Chris

> Also, I am wondering how come whenever I do mount -a I am getting not
> only that the device is busy, but I am also getting some message about
> all mount points have been exceeded.

> What is the "stock" number of availible mount points and how do you
> change it?

This is a misleading error message, to my mind.  I used to get it if I tried
mounting a filesystem on top of a mount on a mount.

For example if you have mounted xyz:/cdrom/cdrom0 onto /mnt, then you try
mounting another onto /mnt, I think that's when this happens.  There isn't a
stock number of mount points you can alter AFAIK.

Quote:

--

Best Regards,

Brian S. Craigie
Unix Sysadmin
NEC Semiconductors (UK) Ltd

< Of course I'm not speaking for my employer.  I'm not even speaking for me! >

Post by Matus Uhl » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

-> I am trying to mount a disk from another machine and I am getting this
-> error:

-> nfs mount: king:: RPC: Program not registered
-> nfs mount: retrying: /user2

->
-> It was working, till I rebooted both machines, now it isn't working, but
-> both machines are working fine.

you should run

shareall
/etc/init.d/nfs.server start

but it seems you don't have correcto commands in /etc/dfs/dfstab to share
right filesystems. If you have, nfs.server starts at boot.
--

 ...and if you think I'm talking for my employer, you're wrong...

1. NFS mount problems: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

Hello!

I am trying to mount a NFS volume on an old Linux 2.0.27 system
but recieve the following error message:

mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

The most confusing thing is that this mountpoint has worked
for several years...

The system is a RedHat 4.1 installation and I assumed
that nfs-server-2.2beta16-5 is the package involved.
Accordingly to rpm the files from the package are intact.

The NFS-server is a SunOS 5.7 system and the admin people
tell me that they know of no recent changes that could have
caused the previously working setup to fail...

I have check that rpc.nfsd is running and have rebooted the
system but the error remains.

Please Help!

/Bj?rn Medin

Bj?rn Medin
Product Manager
RF-IC and Modules

Ericsson Microelectronics AB
Isafjordsgatan 16, KISTA     Phone:  +46 8 757 4162
S-164 81 KISTA - STOCKHOLM   Mobile: +46 70 5677289
Sweden                       Telefax:+46 8 757 4236

2. logging snmp data and traffic on a ip number

3. NFS: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

4. Amptron AV6S modelines

5. Help! NFS mount: RPC: Program not registered

6. A Problem with Sun OS

7. NFS problem - mount cntupd_create: RPC: Program not registered

8. CD-Rom Support (Sound Blaster Compatible)

9. NFS problem mount: RPC: Program not registered

10. NFS mount trouble: RPC not registered?

11. nfs mount -- RPC: Program not registered

12. nfs fails to work gives mount: RPC: Program not registered

13. NFS mount fails with "RPC: program not registered"; help!