Need Help With "tip"

Post by Bill Campbel » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

  I recently purchased a sparc1+ for home use, need to get my dial-up
Internet connection set-up. I have a USR Sportster 33.6 external modem
connected to serial port "A". At this point I'm trying to use "tip" to
dial-in to my ISP and connect to my shell account.

  I downloaded Celeste's Tutorial on Modems, used that as a guide for
setting my modem up. I think I have /etc/remote setup correctly, I can
use "hardwire" to communicate with my modem, and I have a tip entry that
will dial my ISP, but I'm running into a problem at this point. After my
modem dials my ISP, I can hear the handshake process, but right after
that I get disconnected. Here's the message I get:

#tip 5551212
dialing...failed
[EOT]

  Here's what I have in /etc/remote:

cuaa:dv=/dev/cua/a:p8:br#38400:
mysystem:pn=5551212:tc=UNIX-38400:
hardwire:\
        :dv=/dev/cua/a:p8:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
tip0|tip38400:tc=UNIX-38400:
tip9600:tc=UNIX-9600:
tip19200:tc=UNIX-19200:
UNIX-9600:\

UNIX-19200:\

UNIX-38400:\

diala:\
        :p8:dv=/dev/cua/a:

  The dip switches (8) on my USR 33.6 Sportster are:

#1 Up #2 Up #3 Down #4 Up #5 Up #6 Up #7 Up #8 Down

  I really need some help with this, I'm not sure what to do next to
troubleshoot this problem. The Serial Port item in Admintool is set to
baud 38400, Bi-Directional. And I'm using Solaris 2.5.1, running tip in
an xterm (no scrollbars).

  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated...Thanks

---

Bill

Unix IS user friendly..it's just selective about who its friends are.