mmap'ed access to VMEmem space under Solaris 2.1

mmap'ed access to VMEmem space under Solaris 2.1

Post by David L. Markowi » Fri, 05 Feb 1993 07:22:47

We are porting some software and hardware from Solaris 1 to Solaris 2.
The hardware is a very simple vme16d16 card which does no interrupting
or DMA.  We have been opening /dev/vme16d16 and mmaping the appropriate
addresses to talk to the registers.  This has been very convenient, as
we have not had to port a driver since we started on SunOS 3.5.

Unfortunately, Solaris 2.X (SunOS 5.x) no longer supports the vme
devices, in /dev or /devices.  Is there a simple way to do this without
writing a driver, or are we going to have to write one supporting open,
close, and mmap?
--

        David L. Markowitz
        Solaris Systems Division - Genisco Technology Corporation

mmap'ed access to VMEmem space under Solaris 2.1

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sat, 06 Feb 1993 00:59:06

Quote:>We are porting some software and hardware from Solaris 1 to Solaris 2.
>The hardware is a very simple vme16d16 card which does no interrupting
>or DMA.  We have been opening /dev/vme16d16 and mmaping the appropriate
>addresses to talk to the registers.  This has been very convenient, as
>we have not had to port a driver since we started on SunOS 3.5.
>Unfortunately, Solaris 2.X (SunOS 5.x) no longer supports the vme
>devices, in /dev or /devices.  Is there a simple way to do this without
>writing a driver, or are we going to have to write one supporting open,
>close, and mmap?

Hum, I wonder. If I do a strings on /kernel/drv/vme I find:

vmemem
vme16d16
vme24d16
vme32d16
vme16d32
vme24d32
vme32d32

And because of driver.conf I wonder whether you can't simply write
those drivers in vme.conf or vmemem.conf.

I haven't got any Solaris 2.x machines with a vme bus at this moment,
but have you looked in /devices/vmemem?
(The device will only be created if you have a VME bus).

Not the following commen at the end of ucblinks.awk:

#
# XXX Bus device support yet to go in, so the following are TBD:
#
# sbus vme16d16 vme24d16 vme32d16 vme32d32
#
#
# XXX Other device support to be added as drivers are added:
#
# mcp oct mti

To me this reads as:

the generic drivers of the sbus and VME bus are supported, but we don't
make the links. Mcp oct and mit don't even have drivers yet.

For the sbus these links would probably be:

But I can't guess what the vme links could be, as I haven't got any of
those devices.

Casper

Post by Mr Jonathan Scott Crompt » Fri, 12 Feb 1993 06:32:24

Quote:>We are porting some software and hardware from Solaris 1 to Solaris 2.
>The hardware is a very simple vme16d16 card which does no interrupting
>or DMA.  We have been opening /dev/vme16d16 and mmaping the appropriate
>addresses to talk to the registers.  This has been very convenient, as
>we have not had to port a driver since we started on SunOS 3.5.
>Unfortunately, Solaris 2.X (SunOS 5.x) no longer supports the vme
>devices, in /dev or /devices.  Is there a simple way to do this without
>writing a driver, or are we going to have to write one supporting open,
>close, and mmap?

'Fraid I don't know, but looking through /devices on our 690, I see

% pwd

% ls -l
total 0

So I guess there is some hope!

Jonathan

1. commiting less than 64K for mmap'ed files on Solaris???

Help SVP,

Seems like mmap() on Solaris uses a 64K segment (?) at minimum for
memory-mapped files... That is, even if I mmap() a 10-byte (e.g.) file, it
will allocate a minimum of 64K for that mapped file. Anyone know a way to
get mmap() on Solaris to commit less virtual storage to small mapped files?
(Yeah yeah I know that mapping small things can be done other ways, but I'd
like the specific question answered...)

Chris

2. Calculators

3. AHA1510

4. mmap'ing vmalloc()'ed memory

5. UNIX: Open URL's and SaveAs HTML without error message window popups ?

6. Device driver: can't read mmap'ed buffer

7. How to setup a catch all POP account??

8. Solaris 2.1 X86 mmap driver problem

9. mmap(), Solaris 2.1 x86, and > real memory.

10. rm'ed files' space remains till reboot?

11. Can mmap'ed files be extended ?