Speed of Solaris on 486/33

Post by Krister Lagerstr » Thu, 04 Aug 1994 07:11:15

I have been asked to write an ethernet device driver for Solaris on a
486-based PC. It should be efficient enough to be able to transmit and then
receive a 400-byte message over TCP in less than 5 milliseconds (av. time.)

If I accept the job I'll buy a development system, but before I do that
I'd like to run the testcase to see if it's at all doable, and if 33 MHz
is fast enough. Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to a Solaris/486
system right now. I would be very grateful if someone who is using Solaris
on a PC could run the testcase for me and report the results. It shouldn't
take more than ten minutes to unpack, make and run. I'd be willing to pay a
small amount of money for this. Or a couple of beers if you're ever in
Sweden :-)

                Thanks in advance!  /  Krister

---

412 80 Gothenburg
SWEDEN                                           Phone: +46 31 778 43 61

1. 486 at 33 PANICS; 486 at 16 works

I have a no-name clone PC with an AMI BIOS and SCSI disk. In the FAQ I saw
a note about problems with slow DRAMs and fast disks, which is what I have.
However, other than buying faster DRAMs (mine are 70nsec) there was no other
fix to the problem -- I think it's a DMA conflict.

Currently I'm running pl12 fine at 16Mhz, but I would like to go back to
something closer to 33Mhz without spending big$$. The system runs DOS fine.

I tried seting the BIOS to use wait states, but this did not change anything.

Any hints or suggestions welcomed! Should I go get a 25Mhx Xtal? Will LINUX
use wait states set up in the BIOS setup screen?

LINUX is great; this has been my only major block in getting the system up.
This computer is the email & Internet server for my kids' grade school. Once
I get my router working nueva.k12.pvt.edu will be online with 300 kids
exploring the net!

-----

2. PPP --> ISP - Serial line loops back???

3. Best OS for 486/33 SX w/ 32meg ram?

4. ISDN Connect Problem?

5. Linux vs. Gateway EISA 486/33

6. rtl8139 + Triton Board w/ P75 Problem

7. Linux on Compaq 486/33 laptop???

8. Trouble with LILO

9. Linux on 486/33??

10. Performance on 486 dx 33 (3.1) ...

11. 486-33 as gateway

12. Intel DX4 for 486-33 and Linux, Anyone tried it?

13. Can I run Linux on 486-33 EISA?