Solaris 2.6 doesn't detect SCSI CD-ROM

Post by Jeremy C. Radw » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Greetings ...

.. I've got what I hope is a relatively simple question for the group.

I am trying to install Solaris x86 2.6. My SCSI CD-ROM,
a Plextor 20TSi, is listed in the HCL, but my SCSI adapter,
a Siig UltraSCSI Pro PCI, is not. When asked to select
a drive to install Solaris from, the Assistant only sees my
two IDE hard drives and the network card, no CD-ROM. It
says it has detected a SCSI bus adapter, but apparently
cannot see any of the devices attached to it.

I've contacted Siig and they do not directly support Solaris,
but claim the card is Adaptec-compatible.

I think I've tried everything:

- grabbed DU3 and loaded those drivers during installation
- set my CD-ROM SCSI ID to 6 as suggested in the FAQ
- checked termination on all my SCSI devices (other devs
  include a tape drive and a ZIP drive)
- browsed through the FAQ and Sun's support site
- manually added each Adaptec driver

.. all with no effect. If anyone has ever installed Solaris with
a Siig SCSI card, or has any other suggestions, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Solaris 2.6 doesn't detect SCSI CD-ROM

Post by Dave Wresk » Sun, 11 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to install Solaris x86 2.6. My SCSI CD-ROM,
> a Plextor 20TSi, is listed in the HCL, but my SCSI adapter,
> a Siig UltraSCSI Pro PCI, is not. When asked to select
> a drive to install Solaris from, the Assistant only sees my
> two IDE hard drives and the network card, no CD-ROM. It
> says it has detected a SCSI bus adapter, but apparently
> cannot see any of the devices attached to it.

Do an NFS install instead.  Sun won't recognize anything but a Sun
CDROM drive, due to the firmware modifications...

I have a 4x Sun drive, hardly ever been used, and don't need it any
longer for my sparc2.  Your welcome to it, for a reasonable price...

Dave

Solaris 2.6 doesn't detect SCSI CD-ROM

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> I am trying to install Solaris x86 2.6. My SCSI CD-ROM,
>> a Plextor 20TSi, is listed in the HCL, but my SCSI adapter,
>> a Siig UltraSCSI Pro PCI, is not. When asked to select
>> a drive to install Solaris from, the Assistant only sees my
>> two IDE hard drives and the network card, no CD-ROM. It
>> says it has detected a SCSI bus adapter, but apparently
>> cannot see any of the devices attached to it.
>Do an NFS install instead.  Sun won't recognize anything but a Sun
>CDROM drive, due to the firmware modifications...

Not true.  Solaris for SPARC willr ecognize non-Sun CDRoms (w/ 512 bytes per sector)
but Solaris 2.6 for Intel doesn't have any such limitations at all.

I'm not sure if there are any CDROM installation limitations.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Solaris 2.6 doesn't detect SCSI CD-ROM

Post by Dave Wresk » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >Do an NFS install instead.  Sun won't recognize anything but a Sun
> >CDROM drive, due to the firmware modifications...

> Not true.  Solaris for SPARC willr ecognize non-Sun CDRoms (w/ 512 bytes per sector)
> but Solaris 2.6 for Intel doesn't have any such limitations at all.

Aren't typical SCSI-II CDROMs 512 bytes/sector?  I remember my Toshiba 3401 wouldn't
install Solaris 2.5 on my Sparc2...

I was happy when it accepted my regular Seagate 1.0G disk, despite others saying it
wouldn't...

Thanks,
Dave

Post by cjt&trefoi » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > >Do an NFS install instead.  Sun won't recognize anything but a Sun
> > >CDROM drive, due to the firmware modifications...

> > Not true.  Solaris for SPARC willr ecognize non-Sun CDRoms (w/ 512 bytes per sector)
> > but Solaris 2.6 for Intel doesn't have any such limitations at all.

> Aren't typical SCSI-II CDROMs 512 bytes/sector?  I remember my Toshiba 3401 wouldn't
> install Solaris 2.5 on my Sparc2...

> I was happy when it accepted my regular Seagate 1.0G disk, despite others saying it
> wouldn't...

> Thanks,
> Dave

I use a Toshiba 3401 just fine with mine.  Instructions on how to do
it (snipping a couple of traces to invoke Sun compatible firmware) can
be found in the FAQ.

JMHO.

Post by Thomas H Jon » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

}
}>> I am trying to install Solaris x86 2.6. My SCSI CD-ROM,
}>> a Plextor 20TSi, is listed in the HCL, but my SCSI adapter,
}>> a Siig UltraSCSI Pro PCI, is not. When asked to select
}>> a drive to install Solaris from, the Assistant only sees my
}>> two IDE hard drives and the network card, no CD-ROM. It
}>> says it has detected a SCSI bus adapter, but apparently
}>> cannot see any of the devices attached to it.
}
}>Do an NFS install instead.  Sun won't recognize anything but a Sun
}>CDROM drive, due to the firmware modifications...

while this will allow for an install, assuming you HAVE another system to
serve out the NFS installation files, it doesnt really address the CDROM
problem. however, as pointed out below, Solaris, both x86 and SPARC
variants, support a number of SCSI CD-ROMS from various manufacturers.

Quote:}Not true.  Solaris for SPARC willr ecognize non-Sun CDRoms (w/ 512 bytes per sector)
}but Solaris 2.6 for Intel doesn't have any such limitations at all.
}
}I'm not sure if there are any CDROM installation limitations.

-tom
--

"You can only be -so- accurate with a claw-hammer."  --me

Solaris 2.6 doesn't detect SCSI CD-ROM

Post by Thomas H Jon » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>I use a Toshiba 3401 just fine with mine.  Instructions on how to do
>it (snipping a couple of traces to invoke Sun compatible firmware) can
>be found in the FAQ.

actually, you arent invoking 'Sun compatible firmware'. what snipping those
traces does is set the device's block size to 512KB, instead of the 1024KB
that they normally are for PC's. You would need to do this for use with most
vendor's Unixes, as the boot blocks need to be 512KB (for the large majority
of commercial Unixes).

-tom

--

Post by Paul Griffit » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: > I am trying to install Solaris x86 2.6. My SCSI CD-ROM,
: > a Plextor 20TSi, is listed in the HCL, but my SCSI adapter,
: > a Siig UltraSCSI Pro PCI, is not. When asked to select
: > a drive to install Solaris from, the Assistant only sees my
: > two IDE hard drives and the network card, no CD-ROM. It
: > says it has detected a SCSI bus adapter, but apparently
: > cannot see any of the devices attached to it.

: Do an NFS install instead.  Sun won't recognize anything but a Sun
: CDROM drive, due to the firmware modifications...

Are you sure ? I think you mean Sun Sparc hardware. With Solaris X86 v2.6
on my P166, with a ASUS SC-200 SCSI card. Solaris recognize my external
Toshiba CD drive, and my NEC 4X Multispeed 7 CD changer.. On the X86 platform
 you just have to make sure your SCSI card is in the HCL.

Post by Ian Edwar » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

 > I am trying to install Solaris x86 2.6. My SCSI CD-ROM,
 > a Plextor 20TSi, is listed in the HCL, but my SCSI adapter,
 > a Siig UltraSCSI Pro PCI, is not. When asked to select
 > a drive to install Solaris from, the Assistant only sees my
 > two IDE hard drives and the network card, no CD-ROM. It
 > says it has detected a SCSI bus adapter, but apparently
 > cannot see any of the devices attached to it.

When you get to that screen of devices try going into 'device options',
F4 I think, and then back to the devices screen (may need to do twice).
I found it would not show devices on a Buslogic SCSI card after a
cold boot.

Ian.

1. RH 6.0 doesn't detect SCSI CD-ROM

I'm trying to install Red Hat 6.0 from CD on an old 486 PC, but the
  installation doesn't detect my SCSI adapter or CD-ROM. I have a Pro Audio
  Studio adapter and a Sanyo CRD-254S CD-ROM. Whenever Linux probes for the
  adapter, it just hangs. How do I fix this?

2. Problem with debian update

3. SCSI CD-ROM detected as device sr0 but /dev/sr0 doesn't exist

4. Probably an easy gateway problem.

5. slackware setup doesn't detect VERTOS CD-ROM drive

6. Patch 105216-03 bad!?!

7. Help...Linux doesn't detect my CD-ROM

8. cache coherency, threads, SMP

9. Solaris 2.6; can't see cd-rom or modem

10. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

11. Install can't detect SCSI CD-ROM

12. problem with SCSI CD-ROM: card is detected, but devices aren't

13. linux doesn't see my scsi nec-500 CD-ROM...HELP!