Cannot write to /home

Post by PLR » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I just installed Solaris 2.6 and I cannot write to /home as root. I get the
following error:

# cd /home
# mkdir foo
mkdir: Failed to make directory "foo"; Operation not applicable

I also get an error if I try to create a user account and home directory
using the admintool

I think this has something to do with NFS, but I am not savvy enough yet to
figure this one out.
I am not running NFS nor do I want to, so if I have it turned on somewhere
tell me how to turn it off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pete

Cannot write to /home

Post by Timothy J. L » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

|I just installed Solaris 2.6 and I cannot write to /home as root. I get the
|following error:
|
|# cd /home
|# mkdir foo
|mkdir: Failed to make directory "foo"; Operation not applicable

Probably the automounter is controlling /home (it does by default).

# stop it now
/etc/init.d/autofs stop

# stop it from starting on boot
cd /etc/rc2.d
mv S74autofs _S74autofs

Of course, if you need the automounter, you'll have to edit
/etc/auto_* if you want to change where it automounts stuff.

1. cannot create make file: cannot get it set to home directory

Hi,

I am trying to use Workshop and can't get it to make 'hello world'.

For one thing, it opens in the wrong directory.? I want it to open on the
server (/home/warren) and it insists on opening in the bin
(/opt/SUNWspro/bin).? Once I get it pointed to the right directory, I get
this error:
dmake: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target 'hello.cpp'

HELP!

John

2. Second processor not showing up

3. Cannot write to Exabyte 8200 (write timeout, system hangs) , help!

4. Conner 1080S SCSI drive problem

5. C function "write" cannot write more than 2 Gb

6. xlock autostarts

7. jlg058@home.com, tlg62@home.com, egglectric@home.com

8. additional ncr810 SCSI controller in motorola powerstack?

9. Writing to /home

10. can't write to home as root!!!

11. Can't write to /home

12. /home does not have write permission

13. No User Write Access on /home - Solaris 8