Sun Blade 100 serial port modem problem

Post by Vince Jacobs » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:57:56

I am having a problem with utility tip on a Sun Blade 100 running
Solaris 8 (version 7/01). When I issue a command with a phone number
on the command line (such as tip 5551212)I always receive the error
cant synchronize with hayes.  Issuing a command
without a phone number on the command line (such as tip 9600)
then issuing ATDT 5551212 works every time. Also the same exact setup
on an Ultra 10 (Solaris 8, same modem, same /etc/remote file) behaves
differently. Here when I issue the tip command with a phone number on
the command line (such as tip 5551212) its works most of the time but
occasionally fails with the same error. The same setup on the Ultra 10
but running Solaris 2.7 behaves the same as running 2.8. Also dialing
into the Sun Blade works fine and connecting using PPP out the serial
port works fine. This had been verified with a few different
brand/model modems with the same results.

On the Ultra 10 when it fails I just try again (which is acceptable)
but on the Sun Blade it never works (which is a problem). I have
included my /etc/remote file. Does anyone have any ideas?

more /etc/remote

cuab:dv=/dev/cua/b:br#9600
hardwire:\
  :dv=/dev/cua/b:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
tb9600|tb9600a:\
  :dv=/dev/cua/a:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
tb9600b:\
  :dv=/dev/cua/b:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
tb38400|tb38400a:\
  :dv=/dev/cua/a:br#38400:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
tb38400b:\
  :dv=/dev/cua/b:br#38400:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
tip300:tc=UNIX-300: tip1200:tc=UNIX-1200:
tip2400:tc=UNIX-2400:
tip9600:tc=UNIX-9600:
tip19200:tc=UNIX-19200:
tip0|tip38400:tc=UNIX-38400:
UNIX-300:\

UNIX-1200:\

UNIX-2400:\

UNIX-9600:\

UNIX-19200:\

UNIX-38400:\

VMS-300|TOPS20-300:

VMS-1200|TOPS20-1200:\

dialers:\
  :dv=/dev/cua/a:

Post by martha starke » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:23:01

> I am having a problem with utility tip on a Sun Blade 100 running
> Solaris 8 (version 7/01). When I issue a command with a phone number
> on the command line (such as tip 5551212)I always receive the error
> “can’t synchronize with hayes”.  Issuing a command
> without a phone number on the command line (such as tip –9600)
> then issuing ATDT 5551212 works every time. Also the same exact setup
> on an Ultra 10 (Solaris 8, same modem, same /etc/remote file) behaves
> differently. Here when I issue the tip command with a phone number on
> the command line (such as tip 5551212) its works most of the time but
> occasionally fails with the same error. The same setup on the Ultra 10
> but running Solaris 2.7 behaves the same as running 2.8. Also dialing
> into the Sun Blade works fine and connecting using PPP out the serial
> port works fine. This had been verified with a few different
> brand/model modems with the same results.

> On the Ultra 10 when it fails I just try again (which is acceptable)
> but on the Sun Blade it never works (which is a problem). I have
> included my /etc/remote file. Does anyone have any ideas?

> more /etc/remote

(snipped to make my NG reader happy)

Quote:

> dialers:\
>   :dv=/dev/cua/a:

Is the modem on the affected machine on serial port a?  That what the
dialers entry here is telling tip.  I was able to repro this type of
"can't sync" error by changing /dev/cua/a to /dev/cua/b which is NOT
where my modem is located.

Post by Greg Andre » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 06:27:04

>I am having a problem with utility tip on a Sun Blade 100 running
>Solaris 8 (version 7/01). When I issue a command with a phone number
>on the command line (such as tip 5551212)I always receive the error
>“can’t synchronize with hayes”.  Issuing a command
>without a phone number on the command line (such as tip –9600)
>then issuing ATDT 5551212 works every time.

Sounds like your modem isn't responding when tip sends the init
command at 38400 bps.  When you specify 9600 bps, the AT command
you type is recognized by the modem and it responds.

Try moving the "tip0" name to the "tip9600" entry, which matches
tip's auto-dial speed with the speed you use in your manual tests.

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Post by Vince Jacobs » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:22:44

> >I am having a problem with utility tip on a Sun Blade 100 running
> >Solaris 8 (version 7/01). When I issue a command with a phone number
> >on the command line (such as tip 5551212)I always receive the error
> >cant synchronize with hayes.  Issuing a command
> >without a phone number on the command line (such as tip 9600)
> >then issuing ATDT 5551212 works every time.

> Sounds like your modem isn't responding when tip sends the init
> command at 38400 bps.  When you specify 9600 bps, the AT command
> you type is recognized by the modem and it responds.

> Try moving the "tip0" name to the "tip9600" entry, which matches
> tip's auto-dial speed with the speed you use in your manual tests.

>   -Greg

This last suggestion (moving tip0) fixed the occasional can't
synchronize with hayes problem on the Ultra 10 but had no affect on
the Sun Blade 100. The two systems have the same solaris 8, patches,
/etc/remote and the same modem.

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:11:14

>> Sounds like your modem isn't responding when tip sends the init
>> command at 38400 bps.  When you specify 9600 bps, the AT command
>> you type is recognized by the modem and it responds.

>> Try moving the "tip0" name to the "tip9600" entry, which matches
>> tip's auto-dial speed with the speed you use in your manual tests.

>This last suggestion (moving tip0) fixed the occasional can't
>synchronize with hayes problem on the Ultra 10 but had no affect on
>the Sun Blade 100. The two systems have the same solaris 8, patches,
>/etc/remote and the same modem.

What happens when you swap the modems and cables?

  -Greg
--

Post by Vince Jacobs » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 07:24:48

> >> Sounds like your modem isn't responding when tip sends the init
> >> command at 38400 bps.  When you specify 9600 bps, the AT command
> >> you type is recognized by the modem and it responds.

> >> Try moving the "tip0" name to the "tip9600" entry, which matches
> >> tip's auto-dial speed with the speed you use in your manual tests.

> >This last suggestion (moving tip0) fixed the occasional can't
> >synchronize with hayes problem on the Ultra 10 but had no affect on
> >the Sun Blade 100. The two systems have the same solaris 8, patches,
> >/etc/remote and the same modem.

> What happens when you swap the modems and cables?

>   -Greg

I am using the same modem, cable and phone line and just swapping
between the two systems.

I am now able, on the Sun Blade, to do a "tip home" and have it
connect using the following modifications to my /etc/remote file but I
still cannot do a "tip 1234". Any suggestions?

# from  /etc/remote
hardwire:\
        :dv=/dev/cua/a:br#38400:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:
home:\
        :cm=ATDT1234^M:tc=hardwire:

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 03:33:17

>> >This last suggestion (moving tip0) fixed the occasional can't
>> >synchronize with hayes problem on the Ultra 10 but had no affect on
>> >the Sun Blade 100. The two systems have the same solaris 8, patches,
>> >/etc/remote and the same modem.

>> What happens when you swap the modems and cables?

>I am using the same modem, cable and phone line and just swapping
>between the two systems.

You're either fibbing, or you've just described the cause of
the problem.

The SunBlade 100 has only one serial port connector, which is a
9-pin plug.  It's the /dev/cua/a port.  The Ultra 10 has a 9-pin
serial port connector, but it's the /dev/cua/b port.

Either you're not using the same cable when you plug into the
Ultra 10 (there's an extra 9-to-25 adapter involved), or you're
plugging the modem into the Ultra 10's /dev/cua/b port and the
"identical" /etc/remote file on the SunBlade has the wrong port.

  -Greg
--

Post by Vince Jacobs » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:25:22

> >> What happens when you swap the modems and cables?

> >I am using the same modem, cable and phone line and just swapping
> >between the two systems.

> You're either fibbing, or you've just described the cause of
> the problem.

> The SunBlade 100 has only one serial port connector, which is a
> 9-pin plug.  It's the /dev/cua/a port.  The Ultra 10 has a 9-pin
> serial port connector, but it's the /dev/cua/b port.

> Either you're not using the same cable when you plug into the
> Ultra 10 (there's an extra 9-to-25 adapter involved), or you're
> plugging the modem into the Ultra 10's /dev/cua/b port and the
> "identical" /etc/remote file on the SunBlade has the wrong port.

>   -Greg

I started with the same /etc/remote files on the two systems and
different cables. A 9 pin connected to the Sun Blade serial port and a
25 pin connected to serial port A on the Ultra. To make sure that my 9
pin cable was OK I moved it to serial port B on the Ultra. I made the
appropriate changes in the /etc/remote file:
dialers:\
  :dv=/dev/cua/b".

The command "cu -s 38400 1234" works fine on the Sun Blade. (I have
UUCP configured for aspppd). Because the users of these systems must
have tip I am tempted to write a script and call it tip.

more tip
#!/bin/sh
cu -s 38400 $1

But I hate to admit defeat!

By the way there is a way to get a second serial port on the Sun
Blade. Get a 9 pin serial connector to a 10 pin connector cable and
connect to the spare 10 pin plug  on the Sun Blades daughtercard near
the lower PCI slot. Works fine (or at least as well as the original
serial port!)

1. Sun Blade 100 serial port(s)?

Well, the docs and a glance at the back panel (outside
the case, anyway) only show one serial port.  But the
output of prtconf -pv, and a glance in /devices (or /dev)
suggests that there are two (not counting the /dev/term
vs /dev/cua distinction), and they can both be opened without
generating an error message.

What's the real story of that 2nd serial port?

And where's the man page for the Sun Blade 100 serial driver?
("su", not to be confused with su(1m))

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

2. SIS (86C201) VGA Chipset: does it work with X ?

3. FYI: APC UPS with Sun Blade 100 on 2nd serial port ttyb

4. 1 * ldXtTWSQJ-shared library embedded path problem

5. Serial port on a Sun Blade 100

6. eth0 setup for LNE100TX

7. Export Cdrom on Sun Blade 100 or Sun Blade 150

8. NFS QUestions

9. Upgrading from sun blade 100 to sun fire 100

10. Sun Blade 100 serial driver questions

11. Sun Blade 100 -> Portmaster 2e serial cable connection

12. Blade 100 second serial port cabling ?

13. SUN Blade 100 ports printers