Is 100 Mbps throughput between Win2K and x86 Solaris 7 possible?

Is 100 Mbps throughput between Win2K and x86 Solaris 7 possible?

Post by Backseat Driv » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 05:53:49

I have a P3-500 PC running Win2K, 3COM 3C905B-TX NIC card, and
a P2-300 running x86 Solaris 7 with the same NIC card; both are
attached to a Netgear RT314 DSL router.  Diagnostics/settings/idiot
lights all indicate that all of the above equipment on my home LAN are
connected at 100 Mbps FDX.  The NIC cards and the router purportedly
can autosense/autonegotiate and are set accordingly.  Win2K box has
Client for MS Networks and NetBEUI (for print/share services with a
Win98 laptop, also on the LAN), along with MS TCP/IP installed.

FTP'ing from the Win2k box to the Solaris box with a 100 MB test file
reveals a 'get' throughput of approx. 4200 KBytes/sec and a 'put'
throughput of approx. 2400 KBytes/sec.  Besides asking me if I'm
either using good-quality CAT5 cable, patched the Solaris box to
current levels, installed Win2K service pack, updated ethernet drivers
on both boxes, it's because of Windoze, etc., is there something else
I'm overlooking or is this the best throughput I can expect?  I'm
especially puzzled about the difference in throughput when doing the
FTP 'get' and 'put' transfer tests.

And yes, I did try to _force_ the cards to run at 100 Mbps FDX by
tweaking the elxl.conf file and the 3C905B advanced property settings
on the Solaris and Win2K boxes respectively--doing so didn't change
anything in throughput, while changing to HDX dropped throughput in
both directions.

Any help or suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tony

Post by Robert Esc » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:25:11

>I have a P3-500 PC running Win2K, 3COM 3C905B-TX NIC card, and
>a P2-300 running x86 Solaris 7 with the same NIC card; both are
>attached to a Netgear RT314 DSL router.  Diagnostics/settings/idiot
>lights all indicate that all of the above equipment on my home LAN are
>connected at 100 Mbps FDX.  The NIC cards and the router purportedly
>can autosense/autonegotiate and are set accordingly.  Win2K box has
>Client for MS Networks and NetBEUI (for print/share services with a
>Win98 laptop, also on the LAN), along with MS TCP/IP installed.

>FTP'ing from the Win2k box to the Solaris box with a 100 MB test file
>reveals a 'get' throughput of approx. 4200 KBytes/sec and a 'put'
>throughput of approx. 2400 KBytes/sec.  Besides asking me if I'm
>either using good-quality CAT5 cable, patched the Solaris box to
>current levels, installed Win2K service pack, updated ethernet drivers
>on both boxes, it's because of Windoze, etc., is there something else
>I'm overlooking or is this the best throughput I can expect?  I'm
>especially puzzled about the difference in throughput when doing the
>FTP 'get' and 'put' transfer tests.

>And yes, I did try to _force_ the cards to run at 100 Mbps FDX by
>tweaking the elxl.conf file and the 3C905B advanced property settings
>on the Solaris and Win2K boxes respectively--doing so didn't change
>anything in throughput, while changing to HDX dropped throughput in
>both directions.

>Any help or suggestions here will be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks!
>Tony

Tony,

How much memory does your machines have? Although I did not have a 100
MB file handy, I just tried a 11 MB file on my LAN and got over 28
KBps. Here is what I am using for hardware:

Windows 2000 Professional on an ABit BP6 motherboard, 2x 500 MHz
Celeron processors, 384 MB of RAM, 2x Maxtor UDMA 66 drives and an
Intel Pro 100+ NIC

Solaris 8 Intel on a Shuttle Hot-661 motherboard with an Intel 450 MHz
Pentium II, 192 MB of RAM, 2x Western Digital Enterprise SCSI hard
disks and a 3Com 3C905B NIC

Intel InBusiness 8 port 10/100 switch

I would look at what is running on your systems and reduce your memory
footprint to a minimum and try the file transfer again.

Robert Escue
MCSE

Is 100 Mbps throughput between Win2K and x86 Solaris 7 possible?

Post by Joseph Blackett » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 07:45:08

First thing you want to do is eliminate the limitations of
writing/reading from the disk drives.
You can use a program like ttcp to transfer information between the
memory of both machines
over the network without involving the disks. I did a quick search and
see that a unix and windows version of ttcp can be gotten from
"http://ben.cat.pdx.edu/netlab/products/ttcp". A less accurate approach
would be to transfer a  much smaller file (1MB or less). Transfer the
same file multiple times during the same ftp session and throw away the
first transfer as the file would not have been buffered by the
filesystem yet.

Hope this helps.

--
"...But once you find that elusive combination of hardware, OS version,
and patches, you leave it alone. Unix has endured because, when it is

Post by Bruce Adle » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 08:32:56

> How much memory does your machines have? Although I did not have a 100
> MB file handy, I just tried a 11 MB file on my LAN and got over 28
> KBps.

You better check your math. There's something terribly wrong with your
system if you're really only getting 28KB/sec. At that rate it would
take you over six minutes to transfer an 11 MB file.

Post by Backseat Driv » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 10:11:31

>Tony,

>How much memory does your machines have? Although I did not have a 100
>MB file handy, I just tried a 11 MB file on my LAN and got over 28
>KBps. Here is what I am using for hardware:

My bad for not including the other hardware specs--Win2K is P3-500,
192 MB RAM, 1 UDMA33 HD and 1 UW-SCSI HD (granted, these
drives are only 5400 RPM--hey, they're *outdated* as far as technology
goes!); Solaris is P2-300, 128 MB RAM, 2 UDMA33 HD and 1 U-SCSI
HD (also *outdated*).  Yes, my Solaris box isn't even midclass as far
as performance is concerned...sigh...

FWIW--when I ran the tests with a smaller file (10 MB), I got a 'get'
of approx 4000 KBytes/sec and a 'put' of approx 9200 KBytes/sec
(sometimes even hitting 10,000 KBytes during a 'put').

I don't load my Windows box with a lot of startup programs that run
from the get-go; the Solaris on the otherhand has a bit more stuff
running--namely, sendmail, named, OpenWindows, but no other
CPU and/or disk intensive stuff like databases and the like--at least
none were when I ran my tests.

Oh well...I'll just keep plugging along.

Thanks for replying, though!
Tony

Is 100 Mbps throughput between Win2K and x86 Solaris 7 possible?

Post by Rick Jone » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 09:18:28

Window sizes in each direction are probably different. Disc perf and
FS caching in each direction might be different... Try running
netperf.

rick jones
--
ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/misc/rachel/
feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...

1. Samba: 100 Mbps a lot slower than 10 Mbps - why?

Hi,

I have a Samba server which resides on two networks - one network is 100
Mbps and the other one is 10 Mbps. Accessing files on the server from
Windows 98 over the 10 Mbps network is as fast as it always has been (around
1 MB/s). Accessing them over the 100 Mbps network yields a dismal
performance of about 170 kb/s (I checked that with a benchmark and it also
feels that slow from within real applications).

This must be a problem with Samba and/or Windows, as everything works as
fast as it should over NFS or FTP (about 5 MB/s). (So please nobody ask me
if I set up the cabling right or other hardware related questions.)

Thanks for any clues,

Daniel

2. Mount FTP?

3. How do I bridge/route between a 10 mbps hub and a 100 mbps hub?

4. Upgrade from 2.2.5 to 3.1

5. forcing 100 Mbps SMC card with EPIC driver into 10 mbps using epic-diag

6. Risc 6000 Monitor

7. HUBS: 100 Mbps vs 10/100 autosensing

8. disklabel editor

9. DE500/tulip - cant get 100 Mbps

10. 100 mbps Ethernet Cards

11. SUNW,qfe1: 100 Mbps full duplex link up - internal transceiver???

12. TCP performance problem (hme, 100 Mbps Fast ethernet)

13. ISA 100 Mbps card?