Lost Root Pass

Post by Mike Beaze » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:58:30

Hello:

I've lost my root password. I already booted from CD, mounted slash and
changed /etc/shadow so there is no encrypted password for root, but this is
not working. When the machine reboots, shadow file is restored somehow. The
machine uses Solstice DiskSuite. It's an Ultra 2 running Solaris 2.6.
Filesystems are separated into...
/
/var
/opt
/usr
/data

In a nutshell my procedure was...

OK boot cdrom -sw

mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a (this results in error so have to do fsck)
fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
(Answer yes to many fixes)
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a

cd /a/etc

(attempt to open shadow with vi which results in core dump every time :(  )

cat >> abc
(paste new shadow file from other terminal) (I'm doing this through a
terminal that runs to the serial port of the machine in question. machine is
headless)
^C

cp shadow shadow.orig
mv abc shadow

# init 6

From here the machine reboots and it does some more files checking. This
leads me to believe that Solstice Disk Suite has something to do with it
because when I mount the file system after booting from CD, I mount it using
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 instead of /dev/md/dsk/d1 .... which I can't use because
obviously booting from CD does not load drivers for Disk Suite. My guess is
that when it reboots and does the fsck'ing, it re-writes the shadow file...
but I'm just grasping at straws.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Charlie

Lost Root Pass

Post by John Baile » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 10:00:14

If your / filesystem is mirrored with disksuite, you will have to mount
both sides of the mirror, and modify /etc/shadow.
-john

> Hello:

> I've lost my root password. I already booted from CD, mounted slash and
> changed /etc/shadow so there is no encrypted password for root, but this is
> not working. When the machine reboots, shadow file is restored somehow. The
> machine uses Solstice DiskSuite. It's an Ultra 2 running Solaris 2.6.
> Filesystems are separated into...
> /
> /var
> /opt
> /usr
> /data

> In a nutshell my procedure was...

> OK boot cdrom -sw

> mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a (this results in error so have to do fsck)
> fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
> (Answer yes to many fixes)
> mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /a

> cd /a/etc

> (attempt to open shadow with vi which results in core dump every time :(  )

> cat >> abc
> (paste new shadow file from other terminal) (I'm doing this through a
> terminal that runs to the serial port of the machine in question. machine is
> headless)
> ^C

> cp shadow shadow.orig
> mv abc shadow

> # init 6

> From here the machine reboots and it does some more files checking. This
> leads me to believe that Solstice Disk Suite has something to do with it
> because when I mount the file system after booting from CD, I mount it using
> /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 instead of /dev/md/dsk/d1 .... which I can't use because
> obviously booting from CD does not load drivers for Disk Suite. My guess is
> that when it reboots and does the fsck'ing, it re-writes the shadow file...
> but I'm just grasping at straws.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Thank you,
> Charlie

1. lost root pass -> no other adm account -> how to boot CD?

Hi,

I've got a Sparc 5, and when I changed the root password and tried to
log back in it didn't work. The manuals say this might happen if 'chkey
-p' is not run after the passwd command. Anyway, now I am stuck, since
I don't have another admin account to bring the machine down to the
'ok' prompt so I can boot from my solaris 7 CD.

So, does anyone now how to boot from the cd, without having a user
account with admin rights?

Even better, does anyone now how I can simply recover my root account?

Thanks,
Chris

2. Newbie problem with sblive pci

3. Need help root pass lost

4. Upgrading from Volume Manager 2.0 to 2.1

5. LOST LOST LOST

6. HELP--passwd problem with redhat 4.0

7. Printing problem: every printers pass a blank page after every jobs, I lost sheets!!

8. Motherboard recommendations...

9. telnet only accepts root pass for all users

10. passing shell env when su root performed

11. CUPS Rejects my root pass

12. Booting w/o root pass

13. Need help with CUPS, it wont accept my root pass