Help needed Installing GCC

Post by Rui Ribeir » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

For a day now I'm installing GCC. I wonder if any of you could give me some
help...

I'm installing GCC 2.7.2.1 on a Sun with Solaris 2.5.1.

After reading all the FAQ, newsgroups and so on it gives the follwing error
when compiling a sample program:

$gcc -o main main.c
ld: fatal: file values-Xa.o: cannot open file; errno=2
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to main
make: *** [main] Error 1

ld is on the path (I'm using the one that came with solaris)
I read the FAQ's but it talks about installing packages that I allready
have.

Help appreciated, thank you.

--
./Rui Ribeiro

Help needed Installing GCC

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>After reading all the FAQ, newsgroups and so on it gives the follwing error
>when compiling a sample program:
>$gcc -o main main.c
>ld: fatal: file values-Xa.o: cannot open file; errno=2
>ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to main
>make: *** [main] Error 1
>ld is on the path (I'm using the one that came with solaris)
>I read the FAQ's but it talks about installing packages that I allready
>have.

You haven't installed SUNWarc (it is mentioned in the FAQ):

/usr/ccs/lib/values-Xa.o is in package SUNWarc
system      SUNWarc        Archive Libraries

The solaris FAQ says:

6.2) What about the linker, the assembler and make?

    Solaris ships with everything you need, except for the compiler.
    All this stuff lives in /usr/ccs/bin and /usr/ccs/lib.
    If you still can't find it, make sure you have the following
    packages installed on your system:

        for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as):
            SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
        for libraries & headers:
            SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms
            SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h
        for ucb compat:
            SUNWsra, SUNWsrh

    These packages are all on the Solaris 2.x CD.

    --- end of excerpt from the FAQ

Questions marked with a * or + have been changed or added since
the FAQ was last posted

The most recently posted version of the FAQ is available from
<http://www.wins.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/>
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Need help installing gcc 2.2.2d pl7

I have just installed linux 0.96 from the SLS distribution.  I am trying
to install tcsh, olvwm, and others which require 0.97 and gcc 2.2.2d.
I got gcc2.2.2d from ftp.uu.net in the /systems/unix/linux/GCC directory.
It appeared to contain several executables and libraries, but not all that
I needed to get it running correctly.  First was tcsh's complaint that I
did not have libc.so.4.  After lots of searching I found that in a file
called jump4.  Now when I try to compile anything, like linux 0.97.5,
gcc cores with an error 139.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing.  There are tons of files at ftp.uu.net
in the GCC directory, some of them require rawrite, others do not.
My problem may be a simple configuration error.  By the way, the old gcc
which came with SLS worked fine.

Thanks a lot,
David Dumas

--
David Dumas

2. LS-120 and the Linux Kernel

3. Need Help With gcc Install!!!!!!!

4. Can't get LILO to install -- too big

5. help need to install and test gcc on my solaris 8/ intel

6. e2fs_progs

7. need help installing gcc

8. 24Bit Color with x86 and CDE

9. Gray haired greenhorn needs gcc install help

10. help needed--cannot install gcc(and some other) binaries

11. Installing the gcc 2.4.5 binaries with Cygnus already installed, HELP

12. Do I need install gcc-3.3.2-sol10-intel-local on my Solaris 10??

13. Need to install gcc (Solaris 9) - some packages missing?